Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    RMNU
    Eddie used lockdown in the biggest match of his career

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    It depends on your opponent. I can relate to what you're saying though. I personally use lockdown as a secondary half guard. That might be because most of the guys I roll with have some sort of defense to lockdown. idk. Black belt Jeremy Arel kills my lockdown. I know he has worked a particular defense specifically to kill it though. On Thursday night I had a legit Alliance brown belt stop in the gym though. He was a jacked 185lbs and has been grappling for 10 yrs. I hung with him mostly as he took top position and I played bottom. I was struggling with playing z guard which I use quite often. He was starting to smash me, so I kicked in the lockdown and he had NO clue wtf was going on. I sweep him with basic electric chair. He ended up catching me in an arm bar after 8 minutes, but I was happy with my success.
    I guess my point is, it depends. I wouldn't rely on it, but of course use when applicable. I typically test it out and see how my opponents react to it. I play in and out of it constantly which really throws off my opponents.

Array

School
    Dominance MMA Melbourne
    You should not be flat on your back during lockdown. Eddie makes a point of posting on his elbow.

The other half guards are good also, but my go to is the lockdown. Half-butterfly is very sweep friendly as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fazzolari View Post
    You should not be flat on your back during lockdown. Eddie makes a point of posting on his elbow.
    I'll give this a try.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fazzolari View Post
    No. If you are talking about whipping up to your elbow you will get darced or JNT or 100%. To put in the lockdown and stretch it out before you whip up you WILL be flat on your back.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Helton View Post
    ... of course use when applicable. I typically test it out and see how my opponents react to it. I play in and out of it constantly which really throws off my opponents.
    if your opponent isn't hip to it, it'll work wonders. i find myself working the lockdown more than ever these days, simply because i am better at the other styles of half guard now.

flow into the empty space. be like water.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    So, when you guys are rolling against opponents who are hip to the lockdown game, do you avoid it entirely, or do you still try it and see if you can make something happen before transitioning to something else?

I suppose there's always the stomp to butterfly transition if you've got the overhook, but have you guys ever gotten the double underhooks and the guy on top uses shoulder pressure on the neck to keep you from getting to your side?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    No. If you are talking about whipping up to your elbow you will get darced or JNT or 100%.
    +1 dont get up to your elbow....bad idea I promise it wont end well.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    So, when you guys are rolling against opponents who are hip to the lockdown game, do you avoid it entirely, or do you still try it and see if you can make something happen before transitioning to something else?

I suppose there's always the stomp to butterfly transition if you've got the overhook, but have you guys ever gotten the double underhooks and the guy on top uses shoulder pressure on the neck to keep you from getting to your side?
    You are not using your hands and the Lockdown properly. If you are, you will have control of their base, without base the elbow pressure is non existant. Specially when you use your hands along with your whip up. They end up worrying more about regaining base.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    If you use the lockdown as your go to half guard game it can breed a tendency to give up the cross face and letting yourself get smashed while trying to get double under hooks. Which is unfortunate because sometimes you can prevent the cross face, hip out, and get into an offensive half guard position while bypassing the entire lockdown series.

That being said, when you do get flattened out.. the lockdown is probably the most valuable half guard you can have. I use it like a worst case scenario guard when I get smashed and flattened. I'd rather get the underhook, hip out, and drive into the guy while he's trying to pass my guard but most of the time, that just won't happen.

Like any guard, it has it's place, it's range, and it's optimum set of circumstances. The reason why I gravitated to it so strongly was simply because I was getting smashed so damn hard when I started training. When your flattened out, cross faced, and getting smooshed into the mat.. that little outside figure four and grapevine becomes a life saver. Then, to take such a horrible position and to then use it as a position for offense... mind blowing. You only have to hit the electric chair once on a dominating wrestler to appreciate the value of the lockdown.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast