Array

School
    Guerrero BJJ New Jersey

Leg Lasso Guard in No-Gi

I would say my split between training Gi and No-Gi is 60/40.

We play a lot of leg lasso guard (we call it Johnny Guard) at our academy as you prepare for a certain level.

I have had some success with it in no-gi using a hand grip on the tricep. I also utilize a technique from BudoJake's Rolled Up: Michael Langhi. Langhi extends deep and uses his foot to hook the lat/shoulder blade.

Anyone else play a guard like this?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    If it's what I think it is, watch those leg locks

Array

School
    Guerrero BJJ New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    If it's what I think it is, watch those leg locks
    True. Always a threat. Creating an angle, getting the hook deep, and being prepared to sit up into mount/top half if the guy falls back with your leg.

Do you play it at all?

Array

School
    HQ
    Sounds like you're playing with the spider guard.

When you say "Lasso", do you wrap your leg around the arm before getting that foot hooked under the armpit? From my experiences, that variation is a bit risky if not using the Gi because of the difference in grip.

If you're not wrapping the arm and going hooking straight up while grabbing the tricep, that's how I play my No-Gi game. One fun sweep is reaching for that deep half on the opposite side while pulling on that hooked arm. Sets you up for the leg lock game if you miss the sweep.

Array

School
    Guerrero BJJ New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Soguhm View Post
    Sounds like you're playing with the spider guard.

When you say "Lasso", do you wrap your leg around the arm before getting that foot hooked under the armpit? From my experiences, that variation is a bit risky if not using the Gi because of the difference in grip.

If you're not wrapping the arm and going hooking straight up while grabbing the tricep, that's how I play my No-Gi game. One fun sweep is reaching for that deep half on the opposite side while pulling on that hooked arm. Sets you up for the leg lock game if you miss the sweep.
    Yep its spider guard. I am wrapping the leg. One detail, when I hook the 'armpit' I am now actually trying to hook the lat/trap ala Michael Langhi. As for going under the opposite leg, awesome sweep, if they block that I go under the near leg for omoplata.