Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mount escapes: i suck at them

Any advice/techniques here?
    I've tried mining youtube, but everything seems to be the same bridge and shrimp combo. Hoping to find something that works for me NOW and not 'someday'.

background info/whining;
    I'm the small guy at my dojo. My arms are great, shitty legs. Spent all night tonight getting stuck in mount and failing the escapes. I can trex like a boss now, since i've had to do it so much. Escape from alcatraz works maybe 5% of the time for me. With my legs it's way easier to get to half gaurd->lockdown->electric chair. Problem is getting to halfgaurd at all. I weigh about 110lbs, trying to bridge 180lbs is rough. If i can get to my side, i usually get armbared immediately trying to push his knee down to get to halfguard. Shit, i escape the armbar more frequently than the full mount.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Marshal Carper has some great mount escape tips that he got from a Rickson seminar.

He basically adds a head lean to his upa. This little detail has revitalized my bridge escape since I've seen it.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Here's another escape Denny teaches:

Alternatively, instead of escaping to butterfly guard, you could escape directly into the leg lock series that Herzog demonstrates at 8:54 of this video:

My mount escapes suck against larger opponents too, so I feel your pain.

Array

School
    Ronin

formerly known as jmw0582

^i like that one. I can get to 1/4 guard ok, just never knew what to do with it, or that it was even a thing, lol.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Guest View Post
    ^i like that one. I can get to 1/4 guard ok, just never knew what to do with it, or that it was even a thing, lol.
    Honestly, you need them all. Usually the escape is determined by how your opponent is displacing their weight. The most basic way to think about it is that they can either float their hips and ride you, or weight down their hips and pin you (obviously there's more variations to deal with than that). Weighted hips allow you to use upa escape variations where as floating hips open up anything from quarter guard to heel hooks.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    The most important thing about escaping mount is to MOVE IMMEDIATELY!!! There's a moment when most beginners get mounted and they pause just long enough to think "shit I'm mounted, what now?" and in that ONE SECOND you opponent has all the time he needs to get low, drop their weight down, and and hook into/under your legs with their feet and now escaping mount is a GIANT pain in the ass. What you want to do is look at mount as a gift. (If you're up against a stud wrestler with amazing top control you'll notice that escaping mount is waaay easier than getting out of side) The SECOND you get mounted you need to be elbow escaping against the other knee(not the one he slid across your belly/stepped over with) until you get that down all the different escapes you learn are gonna be tough as shit 'cuz you'll be starting them from the worst possible position.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I dont have a vid, but the way I get out of the sickest mounts is pseudo seizure where i dig both my hands in for a double under pass attempt. Worse case is usually they get keep side control, which is kinda escaping mount.

just flex and bust outta there

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hoback View Post
    just flex and bust outta there
    que? Might as well say "Just ask nicely".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast