Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again

Interactive Scale of the Universe!

just randomly found this posted on someones facebook.
    its fascinating how muhch shit i didnt realise existed

http://www.onemorelevel.com/game/sca..._universe_2012

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Thanks for this.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    That was amazing. Thank you so much for posting that!

I found it amazing to note that about the "halfway" point on the scale of the universe is an ant. So the median of the universe is ant sized. That means we are MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to the small end of the scale than we let ourselves think. Some devastating event occurs that wipes out thousands of us. It turns out to be caused by the crispy outside of a little ball of molten rock that moved four feet. Thousands to millions of us are wiped out by an event that doesn't even register on the planetary scale, much less on a solar or cosmic scale. We could use some perspective in our lives.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post
    That was amazing. Thank you so much for posting that!

I found it amazing to note that about the "halfway" point on the scale of the universe is an ant. So the median of the universe is ant sized. That means we are MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to the small end of the scale than we let ourselves think. Some devastating event occurs that wipes out thousands of us. It turns out to be caused by the crispy outside of a little ball of molten rock that moved four feet. Thousands to millions of us are wiped out by an event that doesn't even register on the planetary scale, much less on a solar or cosmic scale. We could use some perspective in our lives.
    It's kind of depressing in a way. The idea that things of such monumental importance to us personally are as insignificant on a galactic scale as the behavior of individual subatomic particles are to us.

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    It's kind of depressing in a way. The idea that things of such monumental importance to us personally are as insignificant on a galactic scale as the behavior of individual subatomic particles are to us.
    It is all about perspective though. The true scale of the universe is really unconprehensional. Even this interactive scale is simply a way to have some comprehension over something that is far to vast to comprehend. So on our scale, what happens merits importance.

That is my opinion anyways on it.

Array

School
    Incidentally, I'm really getting into Carl Sagan's Cosmos series (http://www.hulu.com/cosmos). It's a little old but not dated.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Dude Carl Sagan and the Cosmos series is responsible for me to completly move away from being a useless leech to a senior Electrical Engineering with Astrophysics minor student. The man is brilliant. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    Incidentally, I'm really getting into Carl Sagan's Cosmos series (http://www.hulu.com/cosmos). It's a little old but not dated.

Array

School
    Lotus Club JJ
    I love this interactive scale thank you so much ,

This is like a quick fix for Space and sagan lovers Ive rewatched the series like 3 times already

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Reminds me of Horton Hears a Who

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    That is so badass. Would be kind of cool to trip shrooms and watch it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast