Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Flavio DeSouza Capoeira
    My friend recently got her degree in Human Kinetics @ UBC, and this is what she said about it:

I know a bit about the diet, enough to not agree with it. I understand the viewpoint behind it but I find that it's long term usage can result in many risks, namely cardiovascular disease. I've seen quite a few studies where this sort of diet results in an increase in cholesterol levels, which then leads to plaque build up in the arteries, which can lead to high blood pressure and possibly heart attack. It's really tough on the body having to use fats as a primary source of fuel since its primary and easiest source is carbohydrates. A lot of the fats suggested for the diet are saturated fats so it's tough for me to see how it's good for anyone. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else!

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    My friend recently got her degree in Human Kinetics @ UBC, and this is what she said about it:

I know a bit about the diet, enough to not agree with it. I understand the viewpoint behind it but I find that it's long term usage can result in many risks, namely cardiovascular disease. I've seen quite a few studies where this sort of diet results in an increase in cholesterol levels, which then leads to plaque build up in the arteries, which can lead to high blood pressure and possibly heart attack. It's really tough on the body having to use fats as a primary source of fuel since its primary and easiest source is carbohydrates. A lot of the fats suggested for the diet are saturated fats so it's tough for me to see how it's good for anyone. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else!
    Just increase good, heallthy fats like those from fish oil, olive oil and nuts etc.
    Out of everything to consider I dont think presuming you have to consume lots of saturated fats when you dont is the key to undestanding ketosis.

Array

School
    bb-gym bodo, Norway
    If you are looking for a way to improve your bodycomposition I personally reccomend Intermittent Fasting and resistance training. I have been doing it for about 5 years and have tried two different methods: One to two 24 hour fasts per week (you are only allowed to drink water/non caloric beverages) or 16 hour fast every day (I usually eat my last meal at 20:00 and my first meal at 12:00). Both are super easy and work very well but I stick to the 16 hour fast.
    Jiujitsu-blog: egofreejj.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Ill bet a lot of ppl fast for 16hrs most days without even thinking about it/meaning to.

Array

School
    bb-gym bodo, Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    Ill bet a lot of ppl fast for 16hrs most days without even thinking about it/meaning to.
    I will not bet against you..
    Jiujitsu-blog: egofreejj.com

Array

School
    Ronin
    I bet a lot of those people are fat too.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    I have tried it a bit in the past. Initially I lost 10 pounds within the first 15 days, then my weight loss stopped. I could never get in complete ketosis, no matter how hard tried. I actually went thru 48 hours of 0 carbs and keto stix were still not showing ketosis. I am assuming that the initial weight loss was due to depletion of carbs from the system and the body releasing the fluids that it holds with respect to your carb reserves. I cut cafeeine and sweetners from my diet also which did not change much, as a last resort I started doing about an hour of cardio per day and that did it, I was in ketosis the next day, but was so tired of the diet, feeling like crap and not being able to add 2+2, I gave up on it. I guess if I did it again, I would definitely supplement it with 1 hour of cardio daily from day one.

A ketogenic diet can be very safe and effective, but most people tend to either try to sell it as some magic program where weight vanishes faster than calories are burned, and others just try to say that it is going to kill you if you think about it too long.

If you are actually interested in it, the most scientific, and thorough book on the topic is Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet. It is very readable, and strictly fact based; he is not trying to sell anything by making outrageous claims, or scaring you.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Just increase good, heallthy fats like those from fish oil, olive oil and nuts etc.
    Out of everything to consider I dont think presuming you have to consume lots of saturated fats when you dont is the key to undestanding ketosis.
    +1
    Using polyunsaturated fats, lean meats, the right vegetables, and a limited amount of the right fruits and berries this diet can be both safe and efficient. Brent was right that your brain runs on glucose and when you decrease glucose you get that tired and and sluggish feeling, but eating the right fruits and berries that are both high in sugar and fiber can help balance that out without taking you out of ketosis. Polyunsaturated fats will actually lower cholesterol and blood pressure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12