Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Benefits to training with the Gi

Wanted to pose this question to everyone.

A small club just opened not even 10 minutes from my house and one of my greatest training challenges is that I'm not getting enough mat time. The catch is that the club is all BJJ and with the gi on the days I'm free. When I get a chance to train with Coach Zog or Coach Stew its like an avalanche of incredibly useful information is presented but I feel like I'm only absorbing a limited amount because I can't rep what I'm seeing enough.

Really interested to hear what instructors and senior members' opinion on training with the gi is. Beneficial? Counterproductive? A good compromise? I know that Avi still does a lot of training with the gi if the Submission 101 videos are any indication.

If I train with this local club I get 2 nights a week BJJ instruction with rolling and then I can still spend time with Coach Stew every other week and Coach Zog once a month. All of a sudden my Jiu Jitsu IQ increases exponentially with the increased mat time.

Thoughts?? Eddie it would be fantastic if you could offer your thoughts (time permitting).

Array

School
    GGBJJ
    Hey Shannon - I'm in the same boat. I'm competing in Charlotte's HGC soon & the school that I like to train at here has only a few no-gi classes/week. To increase my mat time I'm taking gi classes too & I feel like it still contributes to my game (and defnitely my cardio).

I think training in the gi helps build grip strength in a unique way that really is helpful in no-gi too. I just don't spend any time trying to be offensive with gi-chokes or sweeps since I am focused on no-gi grappling.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Do it.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    any time on the mat is gonna help. seems like you answered your own question

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Gi vs nogi is irrelevant when the other option is the couch.

The school I am at only trains gi but I practice techniques as though the gi weren't there. If anything, I like training in the gi because it is like running with weighted ankles and vests. Once you take them off you run like a maniac!

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Gi vs nogi is irrelevant when the other option is the couch.
    this

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Definatly do it. Use it for what it is. It does slow things down a little so you can use the time to look at openings and options that you might otherwise miss during a faster no-gi roll. You also can't typically use brute strenght to explode out of certain positions, this can help you focus on refining escape techniques. I'm sure a lot of MG's awsome game is attributed in no small part to his years of gi training, and Eddie has put in his time in a gi, do you think they were hurt by there time spent in a gi? Probably not.

better to train in both. so do all training as much as possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast