Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000 reps

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I said it was a rep.

Coaching is whats gonna ultimately bring you closest to this number. Not only drilling it for yourself, but for others to truly grasp it as well. If you teach 6 different people lockdown, 6 different times. It adds up quick.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Great post, Scott.

In reality, there is no "Nature VERSUS Nurture." There is only "Nature AND Nurture."

With Jiu Jitsu being such a physical art, we will have have a natural proclivity towards certain techniques. Beyond that, we will all have a natural proclivity towards certain styles. A man with one leg isn't going to specialize in The Twister. Eddie was always naturally flexible (though he works diligently at staying flexible and becoming even more so), so the Rubber Guard was nurtured from his nature.

While it is true that plenty of bands have put in the 10,000 hours and not succeeded commercially, I think it's important to note that all of those bands were certainly very excellent performers and musicians. There is more at play in that particular example. In music, you are counting on people enjoying what you put out. It's a very subjective thing. Also, consider how much time these different individuals invested in crafting the art of actually writing a song. That's a skill completely separate from the playing of an instrument itself. It was the songwriting that made the Beatles great. It's why Paul and John were wildly successful on their own and Ringo and George had (at best) moderate success (most of which was riding on the coat tails of simply being a Beatle).

Also, it should be noted that Gladwell described 10,000 hours of dedicated practice; not 10,000 repetitions. 10,000 hours is a LOT. You can't put in 10,000 dedicated hours in anything and not become an "expert." You may not be the greatest ever, but you will certainly rise into the upper echelon of your chosen endeavor.
    Equally great post Brandon.

You have a very valid point about the reality of "nature AND nurture" and that is in sync with how mainstream science views that problem today, for the most part. Also, you are right to note that Gladwell is talking about 10,000 hours and not reps (I still think Gladwell is the origin of the 10,000 benchmark). I certainly agree that 10,000 hours can help you improve in any field but people who lack talent will only go so far - people with talent who also put in the reps, those are the people who redefine their field and possibly even the world we live in.

I think you are being kind by assuming that all the bands who put 10,000 hours in were excellent. Some people are just stubborn and no one who likes them enough to be honest about the fact they suck. Also, there is a difference from understanding the mechanics, knowing the chords, and the ability to emotively play an instrument that cannot be taught - this is perhaps what separates virtuosos from mere mortals.

To me, an athlete is, in part, someone who can learn the physical mechanics of sports faster than others. George St. Pierre supposedly only needs to be shown a technique once and it sticks. It takes me a long time to learn unusual moves and I have to spend a lot time working on my own to be able to really hit things like the spiral guard well. I have it down now, but someone people take straight to that stuff and their 10,000 hours is probably spent better than mine working on that. My point is that you can find widely different results at the end of 10,000 hours. One guy may know enough to be an expert, the other guy may be a genius, and yet another guy may simply be deluding himself (like the guy who thinks he can knock people down with his chi).

In summary, yeah - 10,000 reps is a good goal on the way to spending 10,000 hours on the mat. The truth is, even if you nail the move at 5,000 reps, you are still learning about the move. There more you learn, there more there is to learn. That's why a black belt is considered just the beginning.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    great thread.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    I said it was a rep.

Coaching is whats gonna ultimately bring you closest to this number. Not only drilling it for yourself, but for others to truly grasp it as well. If you teach 6 different people lockdown, 6 different times. It adds up quick.
    Awww man 10,000 reps is to much. Bobby if I pay you can you do my reps for me? Wait....

Array

School
    Ronin
    A lot of great comment on this thread so far but i can't help but be reminded of the old saying "Hard work beats talent, when talent refuses to work hard."

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew "Chewie" James View Post
    A lot of great comment on this thread so far but i can't help but be reminded of the old saying "Hard work beats talent, when talent refuses to work hard."
    I like that sentiment. Holds true often.

The scary guys are the ones with talent that also outwork everybody else.

Imagine if Lebron James or Michael Jordan or Robert Griffin III had gotten into Jiu Jitsu instead of basketball or football.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona/ Academy of Kings Top Team

Imagine if Lebron James or Michael Jordan or Robert Griffin III had gotten into Jiu Jitsu instead of basketball or football.
    LeBron James and Michael Jordan would be scary if they got into jiu jitsu....RG III would just be hurt all the time, hes over rated.

So is it safe to say no on on here has counted a single tech 10,000 times?

Array

School
    Ronin

that's a somewhat scary thought but in a good way, the jiu-jitsu landscape would be radically different

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    This has turned into an awesome thread.

b. Resistance Reps - You're resisting me, but you're giving me a programmed reaction. This helps me to understand timing and sensitivity. If I'm forced to "muscle" through your resistance, I don't have it yet. It's super important to have a good partner for this so that it doesn't turn into a rolling session or a match. I recommend using someone who also wants to get some numbers in so that they understand the necessity of proper resistance. You will also find during these sessions that Technique A begets Technique B when it is negated. In other words, if you shut down A, you open up B.
    Not sure I quite understand what you're saying.
    So for example, if you were practicing swim move into spiderweb/armbar as "Technique A", would you have your Uki resist and knowingly set you up so you could go into putting on a triangle from spiderweb as "Technique B"?
    So you are essentially drilling two possible responses, based on how hard they resist?
    Is that what you mean?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    This has turned into an awesome thread.

Not sure I quite understand what you're saying.
    So for example, if you were practicing swim move into spiderweb/armbar as "Technique A", would you have your Uki resist and knowingly set you up so you could go into putting on a triangle from spiderweb as "Technique B"?
    So you are essentially drilling two possible responses, based on how hard they resist?
    Is that what you mean?
    Yes, essentially.

Think Jean Jacques sweep series from Butterfly Guard.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast