Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura

Gracie Nationals

So....I had a wee bit of a heel hook war with my opponent at Gracie Nationals. I was in the pro division because I've been training nearly nine years (feb. 15 is my ninth anniversary). My opponent was supposed to be in the 185 division but no one else signed up, so they put him in mine.

Things went wrong immediately, my opponent dropped his chest down before I could turn to a hip and try to work double Unders. My right arm was pinned by his shoulder and I couldn't use it for anything. Eddie reminding me that this was a marathon helped. I calmed down and started trying to establish the lockdown. He finally passed about four minutes in, mounting me - and that is where I wanted him.

I throw my shovel, half a Hail Mary, and try to force him onto his back. His reaction is something I've never seen before. Normally, the shovel forces my opponents ankle up towards my armpit where I can easily set up the ankle lock. In this case, he turned weird and I ended up with the opposite foot, so I jump on that. Then the heel hooks begin.

I almost never throw heel hooks, although I'm starting to work that into my game when rolling with higher level people. I've always been a straight ankle lock type of guy. So my attacks need some work, I was really just trying to remember things that Eric Ramey, Ralf, and Victor have tapped me with in the past. I wish I had remembered the S-grip Ramey had suggested in competition class.

After a bit he ends up in my half guard again. I super stomp, and he stands up out of that, then I use spiral, something I never do, and spin under. I was going to try to take his back, but he moved and his foot placed itself in my grip, so round two of the heel hook battle.

I'm walking fine, although I had a slight sprain the next day. My ACL felt very tight so I'm taking it easy this week but I did the drills last night, no problems.

So I am pleased with my defense. Watching the video, his defense was pretty solid too, although I think i should have finished this. I know what I could have done to finish it but I didn't think about any of those things during the match. However, I feel much more confident in my defense and that will enable me to attack more efficiently next time.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Good match, Scott!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hanley View Post
    Good match, Scott!
    Jack, that was a great match. Next time, please don't try so hard. Nice leg lock defense. I'm glad to learn you are a ronin - they tend to bring out the best in my game. Sorry we didn't get to chat afterward but I was a wee bit exhausted.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Hahahaha. Same to you! Yeah, I really wanted to come over and say hi to both you and Eddie after the match. But, I was way too tired to form whole sentences.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I remember that match! Great Job hiring that hailmary
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Nice match guys.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    I can't believe he survived your ankle locks, no one at hq does
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Jack's kind of modest, so I will post this video here. He has some nasty heelhooks.