Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    lockdown in the gi is money. you just have to be really good at not giving up that farside underhook and getting to perfect double unders. cannot ever put enough emphasis on the constant battle for underhooks. stomp as mentioned before is a constant go to of mine mixed with flying kung fu's if they happen to get the underhook. jaws of life is always an option but sometimes against people whose entire goal is to eliminate space between their head and anything resembling a frame, it may not work out. obviously once you've got to a solid lockdown, you play your game or whatever you've drilled most/comfortable with. So many options that flow together and is actually a game that when really knowledgeable of, one can force this down opponents throats. I'm currently making it a point to use my open guard game and force people to close the distance right into my lockdown game which is actually stronger.

Array

School
    10th planet jiu jitsu sthlm, Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Hello all,

So, I'm still focusing on improving my lockdown. I usually do pretty well against students of my caliber but against big dudes or blue belts+ my skills or strength are insufficient, especially in the gi.

I feel like my attempts to whip up are being blocked, possibly by my opponent grabbing cloth. It's more difficult to hit the electric chair as well.

Can anyone offer pointers about how, in your experience, playing the Lockdown is different in the Gi? Are there sweeps that work better in the Gi? Should I just try to get to full guard?

If you're playing lockdown in the gi, what's working for you? What's not working for you? Do you have tips on how to get a lockdown sweep on someone who has 50% more mass than you?

I'm trying to figure out where the game is just different in the gi and where my skills are simply deficient. I have a funny feeling that the 5-0 or mechanic sweeps might work great in the gi.
    Well..Im telling you that Lockdown with Gi is probably the best halfguard there is, not just for pinning. I have abandoned the whip to the side many years ago because my students knows the lockdown to good for me being able to whip them with the basic path. thereīs a much more effective way to whip to the other side (whip down, reverse electric.. Im not sure about the name and the videos I have seen doesnīt show much details). but if lockdown (whipping) doesnīt work due to a bigger opponent! donīt get locked up mentally on the lockdown, just transition to the stomp and you are in a good spot.:-)
    In the future I will try to make a video "Master the Lockdown" AKA Thunderleg.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Hansson View Post
    Well..Im telling you that Lockdown with Gi is probably the best halfguard there is, not just for pinning. I have abandoned the whip to the side many years ago because my students knows the lockdown to good for me being able to whip them with the basic path. thereīs a much more effective way to whip to the other side (whip down, reverse electric.. Im not sure about the name and the videos I have seen doesnīt show much details). but if lockdown (whipping) doesnīt work due to a bigger opponent! donīt get locked up mentally on the lockdown, just transition to the stomp and you are in a good spot.:-)
    In the future I will try to make a video "Master the Lockdown" AKA Thunderleg.
    id LOVE to see this video.
    would help a bunch!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123