Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Clark View Post
    You know that when I have to train in the gi, I try to ignore it as much as possible. I think me and you have talked about this:
    other than grabbing the far collar when I have a deep overhook, the only time I can recall consciously grabbing and utilizing a gi grip was collar choking Michael (an older ~60 yr old guy who learned judo before he could walk that has the strongest turtle defense I've ever encountered who does not appreciate having his legs manipulated at all) from the back a few months ago.

If I get completely demolished by someone utilizing gi-grips I don't let it beat me up too much: I'm not training to be a world beater in the gi. If I was, I know who I need to start training with to have the best gi training and where to go to find him. But for no-gi, you know it and I know it: KMAA is gonna be THE school in Knoxville to train no-gi grappling at!
    I think this is good advice / a good attitude. I've seen decent nogi guys (with about 2/3 years training) who have never worn the gi enter gi comps just to get experience and take gold. We used to have a *small* local comp and the gi guys would come down and they couldn't handle the pace at all. Obviously this is just locally, but having watched tape and paid attention to this, I think at the lower levels (can't speak for higher levels) if you work on clinching and grabbing the body rather than the gi then you will find your game in both gets better. If you work on your gi grips and gi chokes only one is gonna get better.

Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa
    Wow great advice, my opinion on this has changed DRASTICALLY since I joined a second gym about 6-8 months ago, and they train competition gi jiu jitsu. Going in there I used to believe I could play primarily the "same" style, and then I started rolling with those guys. Now part of it is certinally competition level (I don't dominate in nogi either) but when you look at my three main training partners (all of whom are or have been recently ranked in the top ten ibjjf, one blue one purple and one brown) the decimation they cause with those gi grips is unholy! I felt like I was startin over in jiu jitsu.

It makes me wonder (not that I will compete at that high a level) but could anyone crack say the top ten in a gi while essentially ignoring the gi. I tend to think not but that's just my limited opinion.

None the less I think I will more or less aim to keep my game AS similar as possible, playing the same Dlr-RDLR-half combo in both.

Chad, always glad to have you around to keep my head straight! Seriously!

Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa
    And nogi, in Knoxville, Chad... You know we've got this! Kmaa ALL DAY. OSS!

Array

School
    10Th Planet Jiu Jitsu San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    "If you are forced to train the gi, train the gi like nogi" -Socrates
    What My fellow Greek Socrates said lol

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY PROKOPOS View Post
    What My fellow Greek Socrates said lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12