Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Restless before competition

Here I sit... awake at 2am, only 6 hours from weigh ins lol. This has officially become a regular occurrence.
    I cannot stop playing mental reps in my head when I am in bed, and while I am up I am dissecting UFC fights and BJJ matches.

I was just wondering how many of you have trouble sleeping before an event?
    What do you do to combat it?
    I fear any sleeping pills could leave you drowsy for the comp in the morning. I never feel right after anything like that for hours.

I wanted to note that it doesn't stem from fear, but rather excitement. The same thing happens when I am waiting for a big day to do anything, whether its a concert I was waiting to see, or a big trip I am planning to take, etc. Its not just jiu jitsu.

But on comp nights, I cannot sleep. No mass amount of mary jane is helpful either, i have tried lol. Its all just in my head and I keep playing out different scenarios. Thought some of you may deal with the same thing, and may have solid advice for keeping the mind sharp.

Maybe 2.5 hours of sleep though is all I need!:
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/30...e-sanae-kikuta

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Nerves are normal and healthy. Don't deny your negative emotions it makes it worse. Just accept all the feeling and emotions channel the nervous energy to focus positive thoughts. If you have put the time in training there is nothing more that you can at this point, be confident in the time you have put in to get ready. Fear of the unknown can cause nerves, but you have no control over what happens in competition. Focus your energy on the things you can control like conditioning, diet, training, etc.

Array

School
    10th planet Birmingham / SBG Shropshire
    I also really struggle with this ,so would be interesting to see whether many others do and how the resolve the problem.
    my last competition I couldn't sleep for 2 days leading towards it .sometimes if I'm looking forward to training in the morning I can't sleep

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Sam Sheridan: Fighters Mind is a must read in my opinion.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Write down a game plan of what you're going to do at the start of the match. What move your gonna use from each position (Your "A" game) and what you'll do if that doesn't work. When you have a plan going in, already knowing what you're going to focus on, it takes some of the stress away and your mind doesn't race as much. Just my opinion

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Are you drinking any caffeine or other stimulants during the day? Sometimes stuff is put in vitamins. Soda, tea, coffee, etc. If not then try relaxing your body first. It can distract you from your usual thoughts. Then before you realize it you're asleep or it's easier to get to sleep. Muscle tension and extra unneeded thoughts usually like to work together. Just start relaxing from the toes and work your way up the body not skipping any body segments. If you get to your chest and you notice your legs became tense again, then go back and re-relax them.

I do this process as much as possible. Some nights after training its hard to get to sleep with endorphins going. I've noticed more restful relaxed sleep when i do it. Also noticed i heal more and my dreams are more vivid if i lay flat on my back. Also easier to sleep if you practice meditation stuff to clear the mind easier. It's kinda like a muscle you have to keep strong