Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No gi vs Gi?!?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Blankenship View Post
    What the falcon? You know that they're jumping to start looking and this is not adequate. Let us know why you don't know Kate. When I got a bill that profits shifted from communities and just arriving sometime this year. Many pockets of muck are still in the parliament building. And it's good to have the paradise when it was like I mean we have never had a case here.
    oh. my.

this response honestly terrified me.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

I don't buy the blanket statement that gi is better for street defense. At least not in So. Ca. where almost everyone wears shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. I think both would be relevant, but how many street fight videos have you seen where the guys about to fight take off their jackets or shirts before fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    I don't buy the blanket statement that gi is better for street defense. At least not in So. Ca. where almost everyone wears shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. I think both would be relevant, but how many street fight videos have you seen where the guys about to fight take off their jackets or shirts before fighting?
    A T-shirt, is a gi, for a one time only (and never to be worn again) choke.

Quote Originally Posted by derrick ikwueme View Post
    self defense ? GI mma ? no Gi, for a complete game, do both, remember the Gi simulates real life, any potential attacker will usually were a shirt, but if one or the other, choose GI, it's easy to adapt to no Gi, but it's '' funny '' to watch a strictly no Gi, player try the GI, it's like there fucking lost. there own fault for thinking there '' Too Cool '' to wear a GI
    It's nothing about being to cool to wear the gi it's just a preference and it goes the exact same way when a strictly gi player does no gi, without their grips and moves using the gi they can look lost too. See everything we can do in no gi we can do in the gi too but it doesn't go the other way.

Array

School
    Impact and 10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    A T-shirt, is a gi, for a one time only (and never to be worn again) choke.

i'd hate to find out my opponent was wearing a cheap t-shirt and have it rip in my hands trying that.

I agree with OP! If you want yo be an Olympic level wrestler, you better put that fakkin gi on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Odell (DSMMA) View Post
    i'd hate to find out my opponent was wearing a cheap t-shirt and have it rip in my hands trying that.
    I fully would expect it to stretch and rip, matter of fact, there is a way to roll it before choking someone where its like literally getting choked with a garrotte. So cheap wont matter at all.

Array

School
    Revolution
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Stachovak View Post
    If you want to train self defense roll in street clothes. I find that clothes and boots are quite different than a Gi. Besides,this is the 10th Planet forum,what did you expect,massive Gi support?
    The problem with rolling in certain street apparel is their lack of durability. The gi was conceived as a durable substitute for the Japanese kimono, and a lot of gi technique is transferrable to western garb as well--if you're used to choking people with a thick, stiff gi collar, it's all the more easier with the thinner collar of a dress shirt or windbreaker. I participated in a very interesting discussion on another forum where the subject of garb for military H2H instruction came up in a discussion of gi grappling. We thought that it would be a good idea if someone created a gi simulating a BDU shirt. It would be single weave fabric with a western style collar, and instead of lapel flaps held together by a tied belt, it would have a zip up or velcro front (as buttons would probably get torn off). And as you correctly alluded to above, realistic training would necessarily involve training in boots instead of barefoot.

I would also hasten to point out that I'm not trying to incite "massive gi support" on 10th Planet. I have Eddie Bravo's Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed on my bookshelf, I'm well aware of his views on the "sacred cloth," and I agree with him that if one is going to compete no gi that one should train no gi. The point I'm making is that in a self-defense scenario one needs to do what will get him up and out of there in as timely a fashion as possible. So if an assailant has fabric handles on his person which can be gripped and manipulated to effect that end, then learning how to exploit those fabric handles would be a good tool to have in one's self defense toolbox. In that respect, gi trainers already have some of those tools in their toolbox. In a previous post, I mentioned the efficacy of a loop choke--those things can be slapped on so fast that you can be out before you have time to tap. If I found myself in a scramble on a bar room floor and my attacker had a collar that could be gripped for a loop choke, that's the way I would go. Now if I'm on the beach at Rio in my trunks, and someone else in trunks comes up and slaps me, well then I would have to go with no gi.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234