Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility?

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I watched a short video a while back where Eddie discusses stretching in non-athletic environments. In other words, he said that he doesn't just stretch before he fights, or in stretching sessions. He showed how you can practice rear-naked chokes, stretch your hips (by pulling an imaginary rubber guard), or a variety of other things while sitting on a bus, at your desk, etc.

Do BJJ now because the time needed to become proficient is way more than that needed to become flexible. But stretch all the time. Sitting in a friend's car? Put your foot over your other knee and pull both backwards. Go wrist to ankle and pull RG. Try pushing and pulling on your knee while in RG for different angles. If you do it all the time, you will be shocked how quickly you notice a difference.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Oh... and sauna's are awesome. Before you stretch, they can loosen you way up. Or after, they seem to help my stretched muscles and tendons ease into relaxation, instead of just tightening up a ton. Or you can stretch in there if you have a strong heart and stay hydrated (some people will disagree with this, I don't personally like the feeling of activity in the sauna, but your call)

Array

School
    nowhere atm
    Quote Originally Posted by JRRhoden View Post
    Thanks Don I'll get started right away. I'm in North Caroline and After I've trained for awhile I'll come to Tennessee and see If I can take ya( I highly doubt it but I'll give it a try). Thanks for the advice brother. Time to slay some zombies!
    Where in NC are you, i'm in Raleigh and have been looking a jj school to start training at. preferably one that is 10th planet friendly. let me know when and where you've started in a PM and how you like it.

Array

School
    I don't train but want to
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Where in NC are you?
    Near Asheville

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Where in NC are you, i'm in Raleigh and have been looking a jj school to start training at. preferably one that is 10th planet friendly. let me know when and where you've started in a PM and how you like it.
    There is a fellow over towards Cary in an LA boxing that professes to be 10th planet stuff (though I dont think he is a rep, but does teach along 10th Planet thinking). The other BJJ spots, Rapid Fitness, and Forged Fitness have very good BJJ programs run by Black belts. I know Forged does a good bit of No gi training (and I assume Rapid does as well, since both gyms have guys compete alot nogi as well as MMA) so though I dont know that they offer 10PJJ specifically, I would think they are open minded enough to go with the if it works, it works, line of thinking, but it cant hurt to go in and see for yourself.

There is also another BJJ BB that teaches some in a Gold's Gym In Raleigh, but I know for certain he is more a pure BJJ guy, and only teaches the Gi classes there, but there are some of the other guys at that place that train and compete nogi.

Array

School
    On the search
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Blankenship View Post
    Start BJJ now. Immediately. Think of it as a rush to get to a cactus and chop it open for the holy water used to slay zombies.

YES! YES! AND YES! Start now. You'll learn how great flexibility is and appreciate it much more after you start.

Eddie Bravo on Flexibility and Work Ethic. I swear he's going to be a holy man of the sport one day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktcKhtMQ88

Array

School
    On the search
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Edlund View Post
    YES! YES! AND YES! Start now. You'll learn how great flexibility is and appreciate it much more after you start.

Eddie Bravo on Flexibility and Work Ethic. I swear he's going to be a holy man of the sport one day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktcKhtMQ88
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34B0...feature=relmfu

Array

School
    nowhere atm
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    There is a fellow over towards Cary in an LA boxing that professes to be 10th planet stuff (though I dont think he is a rep, but does teach along 10th Planet thinking). The other BJJ spots, Rapid Fitness, and Forged Fitness have very good BJJ programs run by Black belts. I know Forged does a good bit of No gi training (and I assume Rapid does as well, since both gyms have guys compete alot nogi as well as MMA) so though I dont know that they offer 10PJJ specifically, I would think they are open minded enough to go with the if it works, it works, line of thinking, but it cant hurt to go in and see for yourself.
    yeh my cousin trains at forgedfitness in cary with jason culbreth. and i know jason and billy dowy teach gracie jiu jitsu so i didnt know how they would like someone trying to train no-gi there since gracie jj is usually gi. if i can find some people that say good things about iron lion jiu-jitsu(the place out of LA boxing in cary http://ironlionjj.wordpress.com/about/) i'll prolly head over there and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    yeh my cousin trains at forgedfitness in cary with jason culbreth. and i know jason and billy dowy teach gracie jiu jitsu so i didnt know how they would like someone trying to train no-gi there since gracie jj is usually gi. if i can find some people that say good things about iron lion jiu-jitsu(the place out of LA boxing in cary http://ironlionjj.wordpress.com/about/) i'll prolly head over there and check it out.
    They have alot of guys that train without the gi as well as the more standard classes, have you ever considered going in and trying for yourself?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast