Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

White on "TUF" talk, Pettis' future, Edgar-Maynard III, Lesnar's health, Aldo, dark-e

by John Morgan on May 25, 2011 at 8:35 pm ET
    LAS VEGAS – Following Wednesday's UFC 130 presser, UFC president Dana White spent an additional half-hour speaking with a small group of reporters, and the fiery exec opened up regarding numerous topics.

While MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has already covered several key issues, including the latest on potential matchups such as Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz and Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans, White addressed numerous additional pertinent points.

Among the most interesting were the futures of Brock Lesnar and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, the plan for the 14th season of "The Ultimate Fighter," and the continued shuffling of the UFC's lightweight division.

"TUF" coaches still a work in progress

With "The Ultimate Fighter 14" set to begin filming in less than two weeks, the promotion has yet to announce which two fighters will serve as opposing coaches. There's a good reason for that, White said: They don't know yet.

"Not yet," White said when asked if he had yet selected the coaches. "When I was driving here, I was on the phone working on that. There's things that I want to do, and I'm trying to do them. We'll see how it all plays out."

UFC brass had originally hoped to pair Chael Sonnen against Michael Bisping in what surely would have provided TV gold. But with Sonnen's recent suspension, the UFC was forced to scramble.

With a myriad of rumors floating around, White did rule out the possibility of St-Pierre and Diaz serving in the role.

As for who might serve as coaches, White said it doesn't necessarily have to be anyone hoping for a title shot or tat the company owes airtime. Instead, it's more about finding the proper fit for the show.

"It's not a reward," White clarified. "What we do is we look for guys that could go in and actually teach younger guys some stuff. They come in, and they bring in a team, and they mentor these younger guys."

White optimistic for Lesnar's return, says champ "in a good place"

June's UFC 131 event took a massive hit when former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was forced to withdraw from a planned No. 1 bout with Junior Dos Santos.

Stricken with a second case of diverticulitis, the same life-threatening illness that he battled in 2009, Lesnar's fighting future isn't yet known.

However, White said he recently spoke with the former professional wrestling superstar, and he appears to be in a good place, mentally.

"I talked to him a few days ago," White said. "His head's in a good place."

White said a Thursday visit to the doctor will reveal more on Lesnar's exact condition and recovery prognosis. But just as Lesnar has insisted retirement is not even an option, White remains optimistic that the heavyweight will return in early 2012.

"He has an appointment tomorrow at the Mayo Clinic," White said. "He's going to make some decisions as to what he's going to do, but he's in a good place right now.

"This black cloud hanging over the heavyweight division, I feel optimistic about it. I think it's going to turn out well for [Lesnar], and I'm hoping we can get him back by the first of the year."

Despite recent losses, "Cro Cop" will fight again

Former PRIDE grand prix winner Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic remains a legendary figure in MMA, but a pair of back-to-back knockout losses left many fight fans wondering if the 36-year-old Croatian was ready to hang up the gloves.

for more:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23738/whit...k-era-dvds.mma