Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    Wait.. so the only physical ailment is your left hand? why has nobody mentioned machado yet? Look up Eddies Instructor.. He had a deformity in one of his hands and became one of the greatest jiujitsu practitioners in the world. So to answer your question.. yes.. you can do it..
    very well said!!! machado is the man and he's missing like 3 fingers. jiu jitsu has changed my life and you're gonna love it

Array

School
    None
    Thanks to everyone that gave me positive reinforcement, I've always wanted to learn BJJ since I was about 10.
    Never did though because I was too scared I wouldn't be able to do it. You guys have really changed my mind.
    Now that I'm 17 I guess its better late then never !

Thanks -

Array

School
    credit to E.Mays & N.Coleman
    why not try? I think this would be a better sport as apposed to something with striking like boxing.... although tai chi would be another good one to try, or yoga...

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Better late than never? I started when I was 20. Your still starting early

Array

School
    St. Louis Area Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Philips View Post
    Better late than never? I started when I was 20. Your still starting early
    Indeed. Didn't Eddie start when he was around 28 or so? I'm bad with numbers so I could be wrong. I didn't start until I was 23.

Definitely go for it, imo. Just jump in and test the waters for a while and I almost guarantee you will be addicted. It has certainly changed my life in nearly every way.

I am 309 Ibs 6 foot 2 inch and I have been doing BJJ for about 1 1/2 months now. I started at 330 pounds and have lost a ton of fat and gotten stronger. My stomach has come down a couple of inches and my chest and arms have gotten a lot stronger. My cardio compared to my first day is immensely improved and my reflex's and agility off my back has vastly improved. My advice is because of the condition you are being in I would clean up your diet which will make you feel cleaner and healthier and also incorporate yoga into your daily routine to stretch b/c Im sure your not very flexible etc due to your weight.

I also suffer from severe depression, bi-polor, anxiety with paranoia have ADHD. I take daily medication for anger due to my severe bi polor dis order, depression medication and anxiety medication along with medication for low testosterone and hypothyroidism so I know what its like to have severe mental issues.

Having said all that in the last month I have felt amazing, better than I ever have. I have grown calmer and more restrained, stopped angry outbursts and have not been depressed. Because of this I have embraced BJJ in the short time I have been practicing and the cleaner lifestyle it seems to incorporate. I understand I have only been doing this for 1 1/2 but I have not felt this good since I was in the Corp running around young and dumb lol.

I can GUARANTEE you can do BJJ, 99% of the effort is just showing up to class. You've taken the step to look to a forum and post a question so your interest is there. Now you just need to go a gym and take that first step to improving your lifestyle as a whole.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    do it bro!!!

i got started because i was interested in mma and was already doing shotokan at the time. since then, i havent really trained alot of stand up, havent fought in forever, and only focus on jj 100% of the time. its really consuming man. you get so caught up with it that nothing else really matters, i mean if you have a good day on the matts theres isnt really much that can bring you down. jj is the anti-depresseion

Array

School
    None
    Okay so does anyone know the best school in Columbus, Ohio ? I've searched on google and there aren't that many. So if you know anyone in Columbus, it would mean a lot if you could point me in the right direction. Someone who is easy going and is willing
    to work with someone like me.

Thanks -

Array

School
    On the search
    I started at 30. Got my ass kicked by a 14 year old my first day. I appreciate every day I get on those mats. It's never to late.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12