Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    KCBJJ

Galvao VS Stewart; sick side mount sweep

I've watched the Galvao VS Stewart fight several times. It's a really awesome technical bout between two sick BJJ black belts. Recently, I noticed a sweep that I initially thought was a power hip reversal. As most things it turned out being more technical than I thought.

I played with the move tonight and it's very easy, very viable, and a common position.

It starts at 5:20 after Galvao secures side mount. Stewart's setup is somewhat similar to The Flo (MTRG, half guard recapture) but he uses his instep hook to extend Galvao's leg and shatter his base. Galvao's obvious instinct is to correct his base to his left to release his leg which over commits his weight into the sweep.

Just from playing with it tonight, it definitely seems high percentage once you secure the initial hook. Have you guys played with anything similar? What are the apparent weaknesses? And just what do you think?

Array

School
    Ronin
    That's a really nice sweep, and to pull it off against Andre Galvao is even more impressive. ttt

Array

School
    akka overland park
    I would love one of the 10th planet instructors to break down that sweep for me. I'm not flexible enough to jail break yet and that looks like a sweep i could use.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    if i was a judge i would give the fight to Stewart for the sweeps based on octagon control and he did more damage with the up kick and strikes standing then Galvao did with the ground and pound.

Dustin C.

nice video, the JJ was awesome! good vid man

Array

School
    blank
    that is fucking incredible. and against galvao, just unreal!

great post AJ

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Galvao stayed way too close to Stewart's hip when he passed his guard. Stewart was able to load his hips (a term we used in wrestling for getting your hips under your opponent's to either throw them or sweep them) and do the sweep. I could never do that on my bf/coach because he always puts his hand on the mat to block my hips.

It looks like a good sweep though if you can load your hips. That's not easy to do on experienced JJ guys.

Array

School
    10th planet Montreal
    Actually there is a guy who trains with us in montreal who showed us this sweep which he uses very effectivly I've seen him pull it off a bunch of times rolling

Array

School
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    I use this all the time with great success. It's great when someone has shoulder pressure on your face so you can't turn into your opponent. I've always considered it the Flo Over.
    Tim Gillette | Owner/Instructor
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    www.MorningStarJJ.com
    info@MorningStarJJ.com
    720-917-4014

Array

School
    fight sport miami
    It hurts my ears how they constantly pronounce galvaos name like "galvoa"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast