Array

School
    Gracie Barra Bellingham Wa

Dealing with the stack

I've been trying work the rubber guard into my game ronin style if you will, learning what I can in informal ways and trying to work it in to my game when I roll. A big problem I have with my rubber guard is getting stacked by my opponent. I am able to still keep them in my guard and but it forces a stalemate as I sit there with my knee in my face. Any tips?

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Fe/UNDISPUTED
    Do you utilize a foot in their hip ever?
    Depending on your position, this works well. I alwayus find myself cutting an angle in other positions, like Chill Dawwg, to keep from getting buried.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    i sometimes have this problem too. the foot in the hip makes sense because u can push their hips away making it difficult to stack. i also find it better if i can get to chill dog before the stack.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Bangor Maine
    If your apponent has a good stack it can make the rubber guard very uncomfortable and possibly inafective. Sometimes changing the angle a bit and pushing off the hip helps me too, but most of the time i find if you hold on to the rubber guard during the stack, your apponent will just keep stacking and leave themselves open to an easy sweep to full mount. And if you can sweep them with just the one foot on the hip while hugging the knee in New York during the roll, you'll end up with a possible mounted gogo plata or loco plata.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ
    Personally, I pick a shoulder and roll. Depending on their skill level, sometimes you end up mounting them... and then sometimes you just create a scramble.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Look up the gag reflex. Einstein shows it in the 10th planet all stars DVD.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Look to 1) get your butt out to the side you are zombie-ing,
    2) clear the neck,
    3) swim move,
    4) control their roll,
    5) then spider web.

You can also slip your legs out of his grasp, keeping your back flat to the mat.
    Then restart or go to another guard. Holding onto RG for dear life can be a daunting task... Work with what they give you and keep moving.