Array

School
    Lotus Club JJ

Z Guard Curiosity

So after watching the latest MTS and hearing eddie say he doesnt really like Z guard due to fear of footlocks and such I wondered, I personally wouldnt say I dont like it just I suck at it lol. So I wanted to ask how many planeteers here like Z guard or dont like it and explain why. Maybe a few pointers on defense or offense from some coaches to

Well first let me say that i totally respect the Masters opinion. That said Z guard works for me. I useit because i can get to dogfight if people continue to try to knee slide. I can start certain lockdown sweeps with it. My fav though is switching to kneebar or heel hook on the opposite leg. I also have a 93 guard option and i love 93. I guess I just feel it is very versatile for me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    If I can't get a solid lockdown ill use Z guard. I like it but def got leg locked in the beginning
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    I'm of the same mindset as Eddie. We're big on leglocks at my school an leaving your foot there is pretty much a death sentence here. I do use it sometimes against bigger guys but usually end up going back to lockdown. Meg learned a really nice back take from Z guard at derricks seminar in Texas last week. She's been nailing it all week on everyone.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    I dislike the Z guard, but that probably has more to do with my lack of understanding of it than anything else. What are the footlock counter options? Toe-hold?

Array

School
    Lotus Club JJ
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    I dislike the Z guard, but that probably has more to do with my lack of understanding of it than anything else. What are the footlock counter options? Toe-hold?
    Theres an MTS with a toe hold to Twister Pass from someones Z guard pretty sweet, So I have a question is using a Knee Shield in any way called Z guard? I know theres 93 and recently seens Slick Ricks Evil Guard but just how many knee shield guards are out there?What are there similarities and differences

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    I am no expert by any means, but I think the key to success with Z guard is to stay active while using it. So do your best to try to get him to post an arm, or something else to make him vulnerable for attacks, sweeps, etc.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    Pretty much any leg lock you want. There's toe holds, rolling toe holds, heal hooks utilizing the wedge, lately I've been using a sneaky version of the Lloyd Irvin ankle lock too. Half guard top is my favorite position to attack legs.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I do not like Z guard, because it is too easy for a good top-player to smash your shield and use a smash-pass. I do, however, like the similar "shields-guard", aka "93 guard". Move the knee of the shield leg to the opponent's shoulder on the SAME side, and use your hands on the far should to keep space. Keep the knee of your trapped leg free, so that both of your shins act as shields. Way, better, a little easier to defend footlocks, and not nearly as smashable.

Array

School
    blank
    i used to play it a LOT. the only thing is i learned to play it with the top knee right on your opponents hip rather than it being far accross their stomach. allows to you keep them at bay much easier. super hard to smash that way. for some reason nobody else (besides my instructor and other folks at my gym) that way.