Array

School
    KJJ

Questions on the Electric Chair & Mini Stomp

Hey guys, I've got some questions on 2 techniques that I've been working on recently. Will really appreciate any and all advice.

Electric Chair
    Realised that pretty often (about 50% of the time?) when I get a submission from an electric chair, it's surprisingly not because of the "splits". Instead, after I've got to the finishing position (i.e. lying on the side, gable grip right above the knee on the shoulder), a number of times, guys tell me they've tapped cuz the leg that was trapped in the lockdown was hurting. Sometimes they felt pain in the shin, other times, pain just behind the ankle.

Not that I'm complaining about the subs, but I'd like to know how the heck that happened - so I could actually add it into my game, and not just have it happen by luck.

Mini Stomp
    When this move works, it's a real lifesaver, love it!
    But, I'm facing a major problem - often times, my bottom shin is trapped under my opponent's leg (i.e. in quarter guard), very near his ankle (such that it's physically impossible to pull it back and place it under his thigh/shin to "push" his leg back. I'm also usually lying on my side in order to keep the quarter guard).

Any solution for this problem? Seems to happen to me really often - way too often to be normal. I'm obviously screwing something up, just not sure what it is exactly.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Make a quick video showing us the problem. Post it on YouTube as unlisted. I'd be glad to help if I can. Those are positions I use everyday
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Make a quick video showing us the problem. Post it on YouTube as unlisted. I'd be glad to help if I can. Those are positions I use everyday
    Cool, let me see if I can persuade the wife to volunteer as a human BJJ dummy (this may be challenging, she hates being on video) for the mini stomp problem. If I can, I'll do up that video.

For the electric chair, I (try to) finish it exactly the way Eddie demos it in the MTRG and MTS videos. No idea why half the subs somehow end up as calf/ankle cranks/slicers.

Btw, thanks for the really quick reply! (and offer to help)

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    No problem, man. For the electric chair, it's probably just that your opponents aren't used to being in the lockdown yet. If you're rolling with a lot of white belts or guys who aren't used to seeing it, that probably the case.

I need to see the position of your feet to understand what you're saying regarding the mini stomp.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site