School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    I'm glad you guys like Samuel Jackson lol

ig and twitter @jm10p

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Reed View Post
    I'll be in Boston in October to train with Jordan Tabor and Jaryn Finch at Redline. I'm sure they would love another high level guy.
    Yes, please. Let us know when. First rounds on me afterward.

Array

School
    Ground Control
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Reed View Post
    I'll be in Boston in October to train with Jordan Tabor and Jaryn Finch at Redline. I'm sure they would love another high level guy.
    Isn't Jordan Tabor the guy who promoted himself to black belt?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    from another forum:

He is a guy who boycotts the IBJJF because he claims they wouldn't accept his rank as being legitimate unless he pays $2,000.
    The story goes (as best as I remember), he was a good grappler at brown belt (I don't remember who he trained under to receive that belt, but nonetheless) running his own school and helping out at another school in the area while taking some classes there but not really being a full student. That school approached him about running classes regularly and would in turn promote him to blackbelt. He accepted this deal, but before it could all go through, a cost of $2,000 came up from the IBJJF.
    The blackbelt at this other school him was going to become an employee of was not a second degree blackbelt and therefore couldn't legitimately rank him without the documented approval of an IBJJF registered second degree blackbelt (of which there are in the association he belongs to). As the local blackbelt brought up the promotion to a higher up, it came down that $2,000 would need to be paid to the IBJJF for the promotion to be legitimate. This is unusual, because the association he would've been ranked under was already registered with the IBJJF. The only way I can think the $2,000 would come in is if him intended to run his own academy independently (the cost of registering an association with the IBJJF). But I don't KNOW that - it's just what I can reason based on my knowledge.
    Long story short: he was verbally told he'd be getting his blackbelt, but since the promotion fell through due to money issues, he was never awarded it. He decided to put on a blackbelt anyway because he was told that he'd be receiving it, even though the promotion never physically occurred via documentation or any kind of ceremony. His skills as a grappler are not in question, but his insistence on wearing a blackbelt that he was told he'd be receiving yet never actually did, is what rubs the community the wrong way. He should've joined another school in his area under a second degree blackbelt and took the extra time to be officially ranked, regardless of him deserving it sooner or not.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    If there is ever a meet-up, would love to attend. I can justify going to Boston probably 4 times a year for BJJ to my SO (stop it, like you all aren't in that position, too, especially with kids...lol) Thanks for the heads up. And great profile pic. October's around the corner.
    Yeah man just let me know when u might be rolling through (no pun intended) and I can try to gather as many Ronins as possible. I cross train at a few diff gyms, so I know some connections

Array

School
    10p Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Isn't Jordan Tabor the guy who promoted himself to black belt?
    I don't know, but he was in the Pro Bracket at grapplers quest with me when I competed against Gary Tonon. He had Dante Rivera in the first round and gave him a hell of a match. Jordan lost on points but messed up Dante's knee so bad with leg lock attacks Dante had to pull out of the next round and Jordan advanced. Dante is a legit black belt with some killer leg locks in his own right. Black belt or not, Jordan Tabor is playing at a pretty high level.

Array

School
    Holiday Inn Express
    I'm trying to affiliate my school on long Island.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    How far are you from Rochester? Herzog is the man.

I'm training at Renzo Gracie Philly if you are ever in the area.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Quote Originally Posted by fattywarbucks View Post
    I'm trying to affiliate my school on long Island.
    Oh yes. let me know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast