Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De La Riva?

Array

School
    Port City MMA

De La Riva?

Ok I know the position, & know maybe one sweep & some leg lock setups from there but other than that I'm not very familiar with the position & therefore I loose it every time I get there. My friend Matt has a sick ass De La Riva game but I don't get to train with him very often cuz he lives like three hours away in MS. I tried looking up some things on the net & I didn't find much! Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    i know theres a rolling toe hold from there
    a knee bar
    a 50 50 entrance

for the dude on top

i know almost nothing other than that...and i cant even pull off those moves

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    thanks for that. anyone else?

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    I trained at a de la riva school my first 2 years of bjj under a 3 stripe de la riva blackbelt and these are my thoughts....de la riva guard is great for gi...and not so much for no-gi. The reason i dont like it for no-gi is that its difficult to control the wrist without the sleeve (unless you have crazy huge hands and an amazing grip) to create that push pull motion and get his weight going one way or the other for sweeps etc. Also, in GI...you cant attack the legs for heal hooks or toe holds...in no-gi you can and i think de la riva guard leaves you open to leg attacks (rolling toe holds, knee bars and 50\50 heal hooks. I would much rather go x guard in no gi as i feel it gives better control and more options.

The only thing i personally use de la riva guard for in no-gi is to transition to a single leg sweep. make sure you grab the back of the ankle and try to sit on the foot and get the hook as deep as possible. Maybe others have some other ideas on it...but personally i just go x or attack the legs with a standing opponent.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I felt lost there too, so I just did rapid transition drills between the inside and outside Rivera positions (i'm not even sure they are called that). the mechanics of the sweeps are very natural and sort of occur out of reaction, but the setup to the actual guard position took me some time to get acclimated to.

once you dial that in though, you are literally 1 step away from hitting a high outside ankle lock, which is what my brain goes for whenever I even approach the Rivera guard now.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    They have de la riva instructionals at Groundfighter.com

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    thanks Eric!

There is a downed Roman, but because the invoice did not send the wind is blowing strong. Jammer's guard. I'm almost burn out and I'm almost on a one way going on top of my pocket and I try to treat you guys reasonably. I wouldn't restrict his lawyer cuz I know he wouldn't do shit with it. When Israel is done and uh you know. A gallon sunk down into the river but I don't care. Hey just listen and learn about everything. Hell I'm fucked up.

Gi or no-gi?

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Blankenship View Post
    There is a downed Roman, but because the invoice did not send the wind is blowing strong. Jammer's guard. I'm almost burn out and I'm almost on a one way going on top of my pocket and I try to treat you guys reasonably. I wouldn't restrict his lawyer cuz I know he wouldn't do shit with it. When Israel is done and uh you know. A gallon sunk down into the river but I don't care. Hey just listen and learn about everything. Hell I'm fucked up.
    you okay dude?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast