Array

School
    BETA Academy

My second match, still looking for a win

this match really killed me...i'm working on my half guard now. any advice would help, next tourney is in 8-9 weeks. Took a while for me to post because i think i looked like shit! finally got over it and ready to get back into training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLVKeMkS6vc

Copa Nova, Northern Virginia, 1/7/2012

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    If you're going to pull guard, you need to do it on your terms. By pulling when he was just touching your knee, you gave him two easy points. Defend the takedown, then pull guard when he can't get any points.

Array

School
    Mat Santos BJJ
    you did pretty well, you were on the attack the whole time. you have a couple issues with your set ups but don't worry. As long as you are having fun and training hard it will come. Remember Jiu jitsu is an art form, express yourself and keep learning. Good Luck bro

yea I would create angles to attack properly hip out more, and number one thing is to work on the squeeze and those leg curls so he cant go anywhere. and maybe it would be better to go to butterfly or halfguard to go for sweeps

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    thanks for the tips...i'm working on my half guard sweeps and learning to slow down. remembering to keep my foot on the hip when being stacked probably would have helped too.

Array

School
    NextGen MMA/Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Candelas, BCG View Post
    this match really killed me...i'm working on my half guard now. any advice would help, next tourney is in 8-9 weeks. Took a while for me to post because i think i looked like shit! finally got over it and ready to get back into training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLVKeMkS6vc

Copa Nova, Northern Virginia, 1/7/2012
    Your competitor was tough, I will give you that. I love half guard, I was actually kind of upset when I didnt get to use it in my last matches. Get some deep half training in, it will really up your game...especially since your a bigger stronger guy. I'm a buck forty/female and I go deep half a lot and I am able to get the sweep even off the bigger guys at my gym.

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    You did great, you have alot of techniques, just need to tighten them up. I believe if you work on getting solid underhooks in the half guard you are gonna start getting the sweeps and working your top game as well.

yea also wrestling very important, prob more so than guard.

also where do u train in nova?

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    i train out of my garage...gangsta style!!! thanks for the tips everyone