Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa

The first time Rubber Guard felt right.

I posted this on Facebook, but I wanted to throw it up here too. Not for praise for me but as a big props to the guys who've helped me, especially BMac, and my amazing instructor at 10th planet Knoxville Chad Clark!
    For those who don't know me, I am a not super tall big guy, not the type you think of playing rubber guard, ever...

I didn't post yesterday about a huge step in my BJJ journey (I think I was still too sore and cranky from rolling with a certain 6'5" fighter who will not be named) but I think its important particularly for big guys to see this... I FINALLY "got" rubber guard. Now I don't mean I mastered the position or even developed any comfort with it really, I just mean... I have been shown rubber guard at least 10 times, and every time I tried I either just couldn't get there, or I felt strain on my knee... but this time, we set up mission control... and I got it. I think its all my work in half/and open guard. Sure I don't imagine myself using rubber guard as my go to guard, but when I first met Samuel I never imagined myself playing open guard, now its my go to choice. The point is, each day, be better than you were. The point is, its easy to dismiss a position after 1 failure, or 5, or 10... but when you get it, even if its not YOUR position, getting something you couldn't get yesterday, is AWESOME. Thats one of my favorite things about bjj/mma. You might have to wait a year for that aha moment... but if you quit you never get it! One more move off the bucket list, 2 big ones left (invert - can you say big man berimbolo city? And the perfect triangle!) There are others, but those are my goals!

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    It's a great feeling when a technique starts to click. And I think having it as a tool and not as a "go to" is still awesome. If you get too predictable setting up the rubber guard guys will keep good posture and keep their hands in tight, when you start to mix it up different guards and attacks you'll get them to post their hand on the mat then BAM free New York. The more weapons the better.
    The Name is Nick Paul

That's awesome man. I totally know the feeling of the "aha" moment. When I first hit (a very angled) rubber guard recently it for sure felt like a milestone. As I explore the main path off it it really is like a different world opening up. It's really the first time I have been able to slow things down enough in nogi to really think about options and I find it makes me a lot more technical. Good look on the next two on your jiujitsu bucket list.

For the perfect triangle- get the Ryan Hall DVD (at only $50 on Amazon if you buy the slightly used version from Word Martial Arts- and I bought it from them and it's pretty much mint condition/brand new). It'll up your triangles so much more.

Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa
    The triangle thing is a real body type issue. I've got the Ryan hall dvd, I've had tons of people look at it, everyone is like "here's the secret". Yeah, well the secret is tightening up my diet and working on my flexablity lol it's all good it's gonna happen