10th planet training - Calgary

Hey Friends,

I've moved from London, UK, to Calgary, Canada. I was just wondering if anyone here knows of any decent gyms that could replace the mighty 10th Planet School in London (well, not replace, but at least give me some sort of training/sparring close to the 10th Planet system).

Most of the schools here from what I can see are Gi Jiu Jitsu, which I guess at worse case might not be bad to do, but still, ideally, I'd like to carry on where I started.

Many Thanks,

Michael

Array

School
    Balance Jiu-Jitsu
    Calgarian here. You're 100% right, the gyms here are weirdly gi focused. The best gym in town in terms of size and pedigree is probably JR Academy (JR is a Cesar Gracie black belt from way back,) or Tilt MMA (Anderson was Rampage's grappling coach back in the Pride days.) If you're up in the north east I would check out Kodokan YYC, Walton is as legit as they come. JR probably has the most no-gi classes a week, if that's what you want to focus on though.

I'm at Elite Training Centre in the south east right now, and I'm slowly succeeding at making it more 10th planet friendly. On the other hand we also only added 1 no gi class a week a month ago, so if you're focused on nogi you might be happier elsewhere. Either way, check around and see where you seem to fit in the best.

Or give me, like, 3 or 4 years to see if I can open up a moon here.

Hey Brad,

great to hear from you! I'll definitely check them out, I actually just got given a 10 day pass for the UFC gym, they have no gi on Mondays, so that will be interesting. I'll have a look at those other gyms you mentioned. So you teach the BJJ class at Elite Training Centre?

It'd be cool to roll with you at some point and go over some 10th Plant Shiz!

Array

School
    Balance Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anderson View Post
    Hey Brad,

great to hear from you! I'll definitely check them out, I actually just got given a 10 day pass for the UFC gym, they have no gi on Mondays, so that will be interesting.
    Chris is a really good black belt, solid dude all around actually. I was actually coaching against him yesterday and he was joking about me going for twisters, saying "Dude twisters don't score. Style points aren't real."

So you teach the BJJ class at Elite Training Centre? It'd be cool to roll with you at some point and go over some 10th Plant Shiz!
    Yes please, basically the only time I get to explicitly go over 10th planet stuff is when I go on vacation someplace with a 10th planet school. (Which I'm doing again in march, looking at you, 10P Phoenix!)

Typically I teach the nogi class, Wednesday at 8, but right now I'm recovering from knee surgery so it'll probably be a few weeks still until I'm teaching again. I'm still always there, just not teaching right now. Our main instructor is a black belt under Anderson from Tilt MMA. If you're interested in checking us out just shoot Betty an email at calgarymartialarts@gmail.com
    Last edited by Brad C; 02-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Array

School
    Dallas O'Regan BJJ
    Hey man, Are you still looking for a school?

Invitation to people that train 10th planet. The club in cochrane is awesome as they have no gi classes. The instructor Dallas is very familiar with Eddie Bravos stuff. Dallas O'Regan BJJ. Check it out!
    Last edited by shanelandstrom; 03-07-2022 at 05:10 PM.

Array

School
    Dallas O'Regan BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by shanelandstrom View Post
    Invitation to people that train 10th planet. The club in cochrane is awesome as they have no gi classes. The instructor Dallas is very familiar with Eddie Bravos stuff. Dallas O'Regan BJJ. Check it out!
    x2 Dallas is awesome !
    The school is one of the best in Alberta (Competition results wise). Also, all the people there are super welcoming and friendly.

No gi class is Monday and Wednesday night.
    Last edited by chasetah; 09-07-2022 at 11:25 AM.

10th planet Calgary is now open. Under Corey Guitard
    Hit him up. No doubt he’d be happy to have you part of the team.