Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago

Combat Jiu Jitsu Practice

Was curious if and how other gyms practice CJJ. I imagine there are numerous ways to go about it from light to no contact to full contact with maybe some light headgear.

Thanks in advanced for sharing.

Edit:
    Made a group specifically for CJJ stuff for those wanting to stay in the loop.
    https://www.10thplanetjj.com/group.php?groupid=17
    Last edited by nestorledon; 05-16-2022 at 08:57 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Denver
    After attending the CJJ event in Cancun and talking to the athletes it was clear that very few actually train for the ruleset. If you watch the way they defend strikes it is very obvious that they haven't trained with live strikes. It changes the game tremendously but so many are still training as though it was EBI.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Heun View Post
    After attending the CJJ event in Cancun and talking to the athletes it was clear that very few actually train for the ruleset. If you watch the way they defend strikes it is very obvious that they haven't trained with live strikes. It changes the game tremendously but so many are still training as though it was EBI.
    Appreciate the input here. Still fairly new to the space but have a striking background. Maybe I can come up with something everyone is comfortable with at my gym and try it out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dublin, Ireland
    We used to run CJJ once a week, but people weren't showing up. We just did light contact, and we'd go a bit harder if you could land the same shot repeatedly without them defending.

I love it, personally.

I'm always confused that the self defense jiujitsu crew haven't jumped all over it. It completely deals with all that "sport jiujitsu is making jiujitsu soft" that they like to talk
    Last edited by Danny Kennedy; 05-29-2022 at 01:14 AM. Reason: a word

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Kennedy View Post
    We used to run CJJ once a week, but people weren't showing up. We just did light contact, and we'd go a bit harder if you could land the same shot repeatedly without them defending.

I love it, personally.

I'm always confused that the self defense jiujitsu crew haven't jumped all over it. It completely deals with all that "sport jiujitsu is making jiujitsu soft" that they like to talk
    Light contact seems like the way to go. It's the way we often do things in karate.

Yeah I get the sense that most people just don't like being hit, which will obviously contribute to dilution over time.

There's probably some opportunity in this space, maybe hold some open mats and at some point a division at local tournaments.

I'm kind of motivated to figure this out, if I try something I'll post it here.