Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy

training in brazil

hi guys was planning on trying to get some money together to travel to brazil and maybe train for a year and work, was just wondering a few things like

. how safe is it if i behave myself?
    . are the fees more expensive per class?
    . do they speak english in the classes?
    . and where is the best place to train considering im not from Brazil?
    .is it worth it?

any help would be appreciated

Array

School
    Gavião Jiu-Jitsu-Ilopolis-south of brazil

training in brazil

hey, my name is santiago and i´m writting from south of brazil.

is safe training here, the violence is like other places but some cities are more violents and some gyms more expensives.

the best gym of BJJ is the gracie barra- carlinhos gracie in RJ.

but Rio de janeiro is more hard to passing time ´cause the violence in this place is a little bit higher. In Curitiba the gracie barra from Marcos Schubert is very good too.

Search for Alliance from Fabio Gurgel too. One of the best teachers of BJJ in World.

if you need more informations looking for in

www.graciemag.com

the guys are very light and can help you

Ose!

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    I'd rather go to Cali and train at HQ. But getting Staph in Rio sounds like fun too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I was gonna say go to Cali if you want some awesome jiu jitsu most of the best instructors in the world live there, unless you wanna enjoy a different culture/ country
    "Never go full retard"
    Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Periscope @10P4L

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    are the prices for training in brazil cheapor r they expensive because one of my friends travelled to brazil and took one beginners class at brazilian top team and they charged him the equivalent of £30.00

Array

School
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    I train GI at a Gracie Barra and my instructor trained at the Rio Gracie Barra since he was 14. He told me the city is getting a lot safer because the World Cup and Olympics coming in the future. They're really making an effort right now to clean up Rio.

He also said that most of the bigger schools have English speaking instructors. Gracie Barra, Gordo's or Gurgel would all be good options.
    Tim Gillette | Owner/Instructor
    www.MorningStarJJ.com
    info@MorningStarJJ.com
    720-917-4014

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    how many days a week are you down there now Tim?

Array

School
    Great Grappling Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Fort Mill South Carolina (Near Charlotte NC)
    Jon linked you my blog that I wrote previous to moving to Brazil. I stayed with connectionrio and lived 1/4 a block away from Gordo's academy. The two head instructors speak English fluently and there are 5 or 6 other high end belts that speak English. If you're going to stay there a year your Portuguese will get good enough that you will be able to communciate with the people that dont speak English.

In case you're to busy to go through the 300+ pages of my blog (which I highly recommend considering it covers everything from girls, sex hotels, training, eating and going to clubs) then I'll answer those questions fro you here.

. how safe is it if i behave myself?

It is very safe if you behave yourself. If you dont go looking for drugs, dont go out to clubs and dont go to areas that are known for being bad you'll probably be safe. People ask me all the time if Rio is dangerous and I have to respond to them "is NYC dangerous?" Sure there are some areas that are very dangerous, some areas that you just dont go, but to discount a city that is larger than NYC because it has some rough areas is....well stupid.

. are the fees more expensive per class?

No the fees are ridiculously cheaper. That was one of the reasons that I went to Brazil over going to CA. I would love to go to CA and train also and if you're only looking at going for a month then it's actually cheaper to go to CA. When you start looking at the long time trips (4 months, 6 months a year) then Brazil is cheaper hands down (as a tourist without any "hookups")

. do they speak english in the classes?

Yes (at least at the Gordo Academy). The main instructors all speak English.

. and where is the best place to train considering im not from Brazil?

I am partial, but I think connectionrio is the best place to stay and Barra is Gringo friendly in the sense that you cant really wander into a bad part of the town. There will also be other gringos there living in the house and it provides a really unique living style.

.is it worth it?

I spent 6 months there the first time and over 8 months there the second time. It revolutionized my game. I wish I could fight a clone of myself before I went to Brazil.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan_Karam View Post
    how many days a week are you down there now Tim?
    I'm there 2 days a week normally. Wednesday for 3 hours and Friday for 2-2.5 hours. Sunday is my only day off now. I'm doing NOGI 4 days a week and GI 2 days.
    Tim Gillette | Owner/Instructor
    www.MorningStarJJ.com
    info@MorningStarJJ.com
    720-917-4014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast