Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Heel hook em and get it over with for 6 weeks.
    Last edited by Mike Dewitt Jr; 12-20-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    joe hurst jiu jitsu undercover 10thp charlotte
    well the guy is good i am not taking that away from him..I simple meant that not just him in general ,but how do deal with it each time. Well the scenario was are instructor was having us rotate with each other and it was my turn with him...I was going like 30 percent and he was going 100 ...Like many of you said that i should stated from the begging about how i wanted to roll. As you know you can say hey lets take it light or flow and the guy says ok ...then he goes abu dhabi on u ....i wanted to do the same as fuck this dude was trying to tap me like he was facing marcelo himself.. over and over... I guess I was ok in a way with it until mission control and he picks me up and slams to get out of a trianlge that was coming....I know every person rolls different and all but dam slams from guard? I still kept my kewl and all , but I was like dam that sucked...I was like ego 1 robert 0 bc i kept my kewl but felt like shit bc i didnt go abi dhabi on him and little brock..lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Let him tap you, if you are going 30 and he is going 100 he should be able to tap you. I let people pass my guard all day and tap when they go all crazy, Gerald usually keeps that in check so it doesn't happen often but you have to be able to let people tap you if they are going hard and you don't want to.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    joe hurst jiu jitsu undercover 10thp charlotte
    mike good point..simple and point blank...

Array

School
    10th planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by robert gero View Post
    well the guy is good i am not taking that away from him..I simple meant that not just him in general ,but how do deal with it each time. Well the scenario was are instructor was having us rotate with each other and it was my turn with him...I was going like 30 percent and he was going 100 ...Like many of you said that i should stated from the begging about how i wanted to roll. As you know you can say hey lets take it light or flow and the guy says ok ...then he goes abu dhabi on u ....i wanted to do the same as fuck this dude was trying to tap me like he was facing marcelo himself.. over and over... I guess I was ok in a way with it until mission control and he picks me up and slams to get out of a trianlge that was coming....I know every person rolls different and all but dam slams from guard? I still kept my kewl and all , but I was like dam that sucked...I was like ego 1 robert 0 bc i kept my kewl but felt like shit bc i didnt go abi dhabi on him and little brock..lol
    You could let him tap you, but I dont think its an ego thing to put someone in check who is being malicious. I ve had guys try to slam me repeatedly to break my guard and I put stuff on them a little harder than normal. If a guy is doing that I dont see it as ego, I see it as self preservation. He is being malicious and attempting to hurt you, thats not about going 100% or 30%, at that point I think its a safety issue and if its him or me ... its gonna be him. At my school if I have a guy being a meat head and he wont stop he gets to roll the best guys who will put him in his place. He will conform or leave and either is good, you either get a good student/training partner or you weed out an unsafe one. If he does it to you he will be doing it to others. At least if he is going good guys the chances of him hurting someone deminish. The question I think you have to ask yourself when it comes to ego is your intention, are you gonna go shit house crazy back because you hate to lose... or so you dont get injured. I have been injured before by flaylers. Ive had a tooth knocked out etc... and we werent striking. getting caught doesnt bug me but a student that attacks in an unfriendly manner is bad for the school. Slamming guys is illegal in tournaments both BJJ and Judo for a reason.
    Stewart Landry
    Head Instructor 10th Planet Peterborough

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Love the wisdom of the Zog!!!

I'll also add that one thing I like to do -- depending on how I'm feeling for the day or what my goals are for the roll -- if a guy is going all abu dhabi on me: I just play super-tight defense and stall him out for a few minutes. Almost invariably, they get frustrated as hell and start holding their breath and panting and grunting as they try harder and harder to force that something that JUST WON'T GO... ...then after they're exhausted and panting I start working whatever MY goals are. This way, they also learn a lesson about going all Beast Ozinga without me risking their knee in a moment of unbridled passion.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    Let him tap you
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Landry View Post
    You could let him tap you
    Ask him not to slam you out of guard because you don't want to get injured. Some people really just don't know NOT to slam out of triangles and/or mission control if it's not an MMA match. Also, it's really okay to tap man. Tap, reset the roll, and go at it again. Tapping often > getting injured. Think about the long term. It's much easier to get your purple, brown, black belt if you're not injured often. Just my dos centavos.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post

I'll also add that one thing I like to do -- depending on how I'm feeling for the day or what my goals are for the roll -- if a guy is going all abu dhabi on me: I just play super-tight defense and stall him out for a few minutes. Almost invariably, they get frustrated as hell and start holding their breath and panting and grunting as they try harder and harder to force that something that JUST WON'T GO... ...then after they're exhausted and panting I start working whatever MY goals are. This way, they also learn a lesson about going all Beast Ozinga without me risking their knee in a moment of unbridled passion.
    +1 Shellup and frame like a mutha fucka. Let him freakout while you're in your a state of zen. Then him catch slipp'n. If you ae truly better then you will find a window and capitalize.
    Last edited by bobby rivers; 12-20-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Array

School
    10th planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post

Agreed. I also like the shell up and let him burn himself out idea as well. Guys like that still have to be checked though or others who arent better than him ie. other beginner could get injured. I think the steps are tell him first, followed by the shell up and gas. If that doesnt work match or better his pace so you dont get hurt and he gets another type of lesson. If all that doesnt work the guy probably shouldnt be training with you,he's unsafe. Just tapping gives him a false sense of skills too and he isnt learning anything from that either. He thinks he can pull off stuff he cant (which within reason if fine if he is a meat head), but it may be that he doesnt understand club dynamics of rolling. But again back to your original post about it being ego, just ask yourself the reason that you are doing what you are doing, is it safety, self preservation or because you hate getting tapped ....
    Stewart Landry
    Head Instructor 10th Planet Peterborough

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert gero View Post
    Oh he's slamming? That'a no no in my school. Coach will tell you quickly and politely, don't pick anyone up....and forget about slamming.

If I were you, I'd talk to him first and school him on fighter safety. If he doesn't listen, talk to the coach. If nothing gets done, teach him a lesson. Nothing like some sore joints to slow a guy down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123