Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX

From No-Gi to Gi-need advice

Ok, from 2007-2010 I learned JJ under a 10th planet instructor (hopeful). Meaning he was testing under Bravo and Prokopos and some others that would come out during seminars and check his skill to determine if he was qualified to become a 10th planet rep out of our area. So I have no formal BJJ training in a gi. I do have about 2 years of Judo, so I am not completely stumped on Gi, but you get the point.

Now fastforward to now. After I separated from the military, I could not find a no-gi gym. 4 years of speratic rolling with friends/co-workers (I am a cop), but nothing solid; all because I was stubborn and refused to wear a Gi. I finally signed up to a traditional BJJ and they roll mostly GI. During the summer they go no-gi so I am looking forward to that.

Here is my dilemma, I love 10th planet, but will be the first to admit I don't know shit in the grand scheme of JJ. Does this system translate to Gi? I want to try and continue to learn and develop my 10th planet game as best as I can while learning traditional BJJ. I am not fortunate enough to have a 10th planet gym by me anymore and need this website to get me by. I still hate the Gi FYI, but I need something. I would like to keep this simple so here is my game as of now. Been really working my roots, half guard/dog fight/rubber guard, mostly all half guard. Any advice for working those three things in a GI? because I keep getting smashed from them holding and grabbing and collar choking me from every angle.

Sorry for the long post, but I am real excited to be back in the game and want some advice from those that practice what I grew to love.

edit: looking at my avatar pic, I should really change that from blue belt to white belt because I don't deserve that blue as of right now.

Array

School
    Precision Jiu Jitsu
    Pretty much everything you have learned will work in the gi so its actually easier to go from no gi to gi. I do alot of the system in gi and have success. At the end of the day its jiu jitsu so you can keep focusing on your clinch and over under hooks and not use the gi for grips.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by imported_scott View Post
    Pretty much everything you have learned will work in the gi so its actually easier to go from no gi to gi. I do alot of the system in gi and have success. At the end of the day its jiu jitsu so you can keep focusing on your clinch and over under hooks and not use the gi for grips.
    While there is debate which one it is easier to go to than the other (and I don't really care either way), its true that almost all the 10th Planet system will work in the Gi, in fact, Eddie came up with at least the early stages of most of it while wearing a gi... Just not grabbing it himself. That might be something you may want to try.

And hey, I know Arlington, Texas is a long way away from Beaumont, TX, but consider taking a vacation over here at some point, we love 10th Planet Drop ins

Oh, and it makes no sense to downgrade yourself from your blue belt in 10th Planet while you are on a 10th Planet forum, just because that's not what you train right now due to location (if your belt is legit. You were a little fuzzy on that).

Message me at any time with any questions, I look out for my 10th Planet Texas family

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    I'm new to JJ, so this is based mostly on what I've learned on this forum, general observation, and what I'm being taught at my gym which does both gi and nogi competition at the highest level.

There is more to gi than nogi. Everything you learn nogi will work in gi, but there is a bunch of gi stuff you don't know. That's why you're getting choked. You are not aware of, nor defending properly, stuff like the x-choke. X-choke is the go-to shit in a gi. You learn it as a whitebelt and you see guys using it at the highest blackbelt level. But it doesn't exist in nogi.

Sounds like you're a nogi guy at heart. I'd recommend learning all the grips, all the gi defense stuff, learn everything they have to teach, and take gi seriously. Just don't spend tons of time working on spider guard or worm guard or any of that weird gi stuff that uses grips for extended periods of time. Use the grips temporarily.

If you are in a self-defense situation and the guy has a jacket on, are you really going to roll your fingers up in his sleeves, put your feet on his biceps, and play the "you can't pass my guard game" with him? No, that's silly gi stuff. But you might grab his lapel and yank him to remove the distance between you. As soon as you are close enough, BAM clinch him.

You've already seen the biggest problem you're going to have in a gi, which are those lapel grips others put on you. A lapel grip can be super strong, and if the guy knows what he's doing it's only a few short steps away from chocking you. So work that stuff really hard and focus on it like crazy.

You're really just playing a little catch-up, adding gi stuff to your awareness. Once you're more used to having all those extra things going on, you'll be fine. All your nogi moves are going to translate and be useful to you. Just focus on the stuff you don't know for awhile and it'll work itself out!

Also please continue to update us to your progress. As another guy with 10p in my heart, training in a gi gym, I'm extremely interested in other people's experiences in the gi. I know others are in your situation as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post

There is more to gi than nogi.
    Not to start something here, but I personally disagree with this point, especially if you are reffering to IBJJF Gi grappling which has a large percentage of subs and control positions on half the body illegal.

Regardless, both are essentially infinite since no one has ever run out of new stuff to work on in either, so its a mute point, its just WHICH of those things would you rather be learning. That's Just IMHO of course but, I hear the "Gi is just way bigger ect" thing from long time gi guys all the time and then they try my no gi class and have never seen anything I'm showing before...

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Not to start something here, but I personally disagree with this point, especially if you are reffering to IBJJF
    I was not referring to IBJJF. I'm not a fan of that organization. They are clearly trying to maintain "Jiu Jitsu" as some little sub-set of what's available. It's a racket, it's boring to watch, and it's rules are garbage.

I was really speaking in more general terms about the art of jiu jitsu.

I really didn't mean to start any kind of philosophical debate here. But this isn't the first person I've heard say something like "I've trained a lot of nogi and then went into a gi gym and got choked all night". Clearly there is something to this story.

I was really just trying to help the guy who was getting choked all night because he's never rolled in a gi before.

My point was "There are very basic gi moves that you do not know, so learn them and you'll be fine"
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-22-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. Brian Debes I would love to come down. Please let me know if you ever head up to north Texas. I've only been here a couple of years so I'm still learning the state. Looks like Beaumont is pretty far down there lol 6+ hours. I have met heavy resistance about the 10th planet system at this new gym. Even had the instructor tell me half guard is garbage and not to waste my time. I just smile a nod. I will continue to learn and adapt for what I have fun doing. Glad to hear it will all translate.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikLavigne View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. Brian Debes I would love to come down. Please let me know if you ever head up to north Texas. I've only been here a couple of years so I'm still learning the state. Looks like Beaumont is pretty far down there lol 6+ hours. I have met heavy resistance about the 10th planet system at this new gym. Even had the instructor tell me half guard is garbage and not to waste my time. I just smile a nod. I will continue to learn and adapt for what I have fun doing. Glad to hear it will all translate.
    "half guard is garbage"? Not the lockdown, but half guard in general? That is not a common BJJ mindset.... More like some peoples "MMA" mind set or a super, super traditional one... Does your gym compete at all? Because.... grappling competitions have half guard sweeps...a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    "half guard is garbage"? Not the lockdown, but half guard in general? That is not a common BJJ mindset.... More like some peoples "MMA" mind set or a super, super traditional one... Does your gym compete at all? Because.... grappling competitions have half guard sweeps...a lot...
    Yeah, ever since gordo that sort of thinking has sort of gone away.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikLavigne View Post
    Even had the instructor tell me half guard is garbage and not to waste my time..
    Ugh. Close minded, not good. Any other gyms in your city? Smiling and nodding probably your best bet. But I'd immediately be looking for alternatives, if they are available.

You have met an instructor who has stopped learning. That's a very bad sign for him.

You mentioned earlier that your gym trains nogi half the year. Is your instructor not familiar with Garry Tonon? He hooked in the lockdown several times just last month at Gracie Nationals... Garry is not a 10p guy.

If you're stuck with this guy, that's ok too... you'll still have plenty to learn. Just don't learn his philosophy or mindset while you're there. Stick to learning the techniques that he uses.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-23-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast