Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Possibly the worst forum in JJ to ask this on?

Well since i now train in a gi im pretty sick of getting choked by the collars, any advice on rolling with a gi to avoid the chokes or is it just practice makes perfect?

My school is primarily Gi and my advice is to always be aware of their hands around the collar. Constantly practice hand fighting around your neck to not allow them the grab the collar.

Yeah i need to work on this, i just don't have the reflexes yet to see it as an incoming threat until they have it locked in

This just takes lots of reps to get that awareness. it takes some time.

It's just insane amounts of practice - after a few years your body instinctively knows when a choke is coming in the gi, and you can change the distance between you, or the angle of your bodies, so you're not in danger.

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    grip fighting was (is) a big thing for me when i roll in the gi. posture and range control is also keys to avoiding. also no gi i'll take bottom, or lesser position cuz im really comfortable there. In the gi I'm naked in the tundra, and my opp is a nice warm fox, i.e. i play a super heavy top game and am ultra aggresive. Because i suck and i am scared of the choke lol

Array

School
    Training Station Manchester NH
    I mostly train in datch gi as well, I find that you have to be aware of grips, some dont stress me out but a high grip on the collar is def choke city I remove those as quickly as possible. I am also famous for blocking cross chokes with my face, worth a shot your face will look like Chael Sonnens the next day but itll save your neck from getting choked. but yeah experience and awareness goes a long ass way too.
    @DuaneBenton667

#10P603

Array

School
    Kalsamrit Martial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanebenton View Post
    I am also famous for blocking cross chokes with my face, worth a shot your face will look like Chael Sonnens the next day but itll save your neck from getting choked
    If you have to defend a choke like that, you've already made your mistake. It's better to not have an ego and tap, I know I would....i enjoy eating/chewing food much more than getting my jaw cranked for the sake of not tapping, but that's just me!

Josh, I agree with Brian's post awareness comes with mat time. I havent been choked in years......by something I didn't see coming

Array

School
    Kalsamrit Martial Arts
    Thinking about what I just said, in a tournament I would tuck my chin to avoid a choke, just not in training!

Array

School
    Combat Society
    From my experience grips are the biggest thing. Without the correct grips your opponent can't choke. If they have the grips in place, you're in trouble. If you let em put the noose around your neck, they're gonna tighten it. Deal with hands inside your collar. The same way you'd deal with an arm under your neck nogi. Having said all this, I still get strangled all the time. I think the logic is sound though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast