Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    I didn't realize 1) there were luta livre places in the US, and 2) there was a belt system. Do you mind explaining the belt system? I read it HERE, but what's the time-frame? I take it there's live rolling?
    Ya it's identical to JJ with the addition of yellow and orange between white and blue. You progress through yellow and orange pretty quickly (kind of like stripes?) and it takes about the same amount of time to get to blue. After that it's just like JJ. I think having yellow and orange seems pretty silly but it makes sense considering how much you improve within the first 6 months or so of training

Array

School
    10th planet Barranquilla
    i think only master Jean jacques Machado belts transfer to 10thplanet. Not all bjj schools.
    Our Muay thai coach is a purple belt Luta Livre guy and it is pure grappling, but is the opposite of 10thplanet. They look to be on top and westler while 10thplanet prefers bottom position, this is why i dont think it would be pertinet. but who knows is just my little experience.
    Last edited by nathan cybul; 10-07-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Interesting. I wondered about this. What belt would I be asked to wear if there was a 10th P near me and decided to switch teams? I'm a brown belt under American Top Team.

Array

School
    I thought it was all BJJ belts? I mean even if you have to start at white belt you'd progress through the system pretty quickly if you're an experienced grappler I'd have to imagine. As for the LL being top position emphasis, that's kind of an old school way of thinking, like I mentioned, we're constantly working on rubber guard, lockdown, and a lot of sweeping. I think a lot of grappling styles are abandoning the idea of being good from one position and realizing that you have to be dangerous from everywhere. I think it's all meshing together, thats what I like about 10th Planet, if it works, you use it
    Last edited by Nick Paul; 10-07-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Array

School
    Here's a video of Milton Vieria who is a black belt in Luta Livre and Jiu Jitsu, talking about the difference and what he took from both
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20CR_N63jgY

Array

School
    Crazy Monkey Norge, Oslo, Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Interesting. I wondered about this. What belt would I be asked to wear if there was a 10th P near me and decided to switch teams? I'm a brown belt under American Top Team.
    Eddie says that all belts transfer except from black. Black belts in BJJ will get a Brown in 10P, as they need to master all the 10P specific techniques as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by JorgenBore View Post
    Eddie says that all belts transfer except from black. Black belts in BJJ will get a Brown in 10P, as they need to master all the 10P specific techniques as well.
    Correction, all BJJ belts transfer except Black Belt.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Chris, do you ever do a camp so that ronins and other east coasters can get together at your school? Kinda like a camp for those of us who don't have a school nearby? I'd be interested in something like that if you do.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    For anyone interested in Luta Livre--

Here's a really good series of articles on the history of Luta Livre (including it's connections to CACC and the Gracies' connections to Luta Livre): http://www.lutalivre-academy.de/publ...of-luta-livre/

Also, this video series (that ADCC vet Nicolas Renier was involved in producing) goes a long ways toward showing how well rounded modern Luta Livre is and dispelling the myth that it is all takedowns, top game, and leglocks:

Last edited by Jack Hanley; 10-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Episode two:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast