Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning Curve

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin

Learning Curve

Is there a certain amount of time that you spend on the mat and once reached, your learning curve just shoot up? I'm starting to notice more and more that Cora is picking things up so fast now. Just last week we spend 2 hour drilling the Muddy Waters on Friday when it came out, then by Sat morning, she was able to hit it at a tournament. Then yesterday she was able to tap many kids with the Frodoplata, only having drill it an hour the day before. And when she was rolling with one of the black belt, it was very fluid and almost look like he was rolling with another adult. Everything that she put on him was all 10thplanet stuff and he was very very impressed.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    yes, no set amount of time, different for each person, but I have seen it happen time and time again. You send "x" amount of time on the mat just getting ready to learn. I always tell people to just show up to class for 3-6 months, then it will be time to start learning. I have heard many a black belt state that the real learning begins after you get a black belt.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    The more you know, the more you can learn. You don't have to relearn the whole tech, just add too and polish. You pick stuff up quicker because you intuitively understand the principles behind the tech. So when something works, it automatically feels right and can be injected relatively quickly with minimal or no drilling.

It's probly my favorite part of jj. I learn twice as much now. All it shows is how much of it I don't know and need to learn if I can be taking in this much consistently. There's no ceiling.

I also love being a white belt at something. A tech completely foreign to me that I have no clue how to do. When you get better you tend to ignore those parts, because your having success. Which is what matters right? Till you are in a comp against someone who's good and trains as much as or more than you do, and you don't have an answer for his game. A different style of sweeping or passing for example or a new guard or control.

Array

School
    10th planet Ronin, Choi institute.
    Once you get your body to abide by the logic/philosophy of the martial art, understanding/learning becomes automatic.
    Also:
    The less you know, the more you have to learn.
    The more you know the easier it is to learn.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    I find that with a lot of things -- especially kinesthetic things like jiu jitsu or playing and instrument -- you also go through plateaus. You suddenly feel like you're not making any progress; if anything you feel like you're getting worse. Then something happens and you're back to learning voraciously again. I've learned to not fight the plateaus and just let them be. I know I'll get past them and start flying again. Cora has made such awesome progress in a short time. I hope she can keep it up for a good long while. But when the plateau comes, she'll need you to help her not get frustrated and overwhelmed too. The way she's going, I don't imagine those plateaus will stick around too long.

Array

School
    Miami WMB(Alliance Miami)
    Like you said Cora drilled those moves for an hour or more. Neale stresses to our team 10,000 reps 10,000 reps, drill each move so it's second nature. 1+hr on a single move/combo is a great amount of time to spend and that is awesome and why she is seeing such results as you documented in your post. For me I drilled the no arm guillotine(Marcelo's guillotine) 15mins a day from turtle and now I can hit it from a lot of different positions and angles. One other tip take a private at the beginning of each month(passing one month, escapes the next, top side after that and etc... For examples)and focus on what you went over in the private for that whole month. Then Keep drilling and she will continue to soar to the next level. 10,000 reps and it will be 2nd nature

Array

School
    BJJ India (Professor Rodrigo Teixeira BJJ)
    I think it depends on ur attributes, experiencne and ability to understand the core priciples behind a technique, one someone got all these factors, thn the learning process is easy and only a small amount of time is required to develop the muscle memory, as i always teach my students :

The 5 Phases of Learning :

Learn - Practise - Master - Functionalise - Maintain

Follow this Cycle & You are Ready To Rock n Roll.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Craig: we are the only one in HOUSTON that plays with the rubber guard and the system. So privates...this is our privates.. We are a ronin, and thus has no one in our area. We just try to do what we can for the amount of info that we have. Usually this is how I train Cora, there are basically 4 areas that we touched on everyday. Passing, top game, bottom game, and defense/escapes. I would pick a couple of techniques each day and we would drill on those. I find that this way, she become a more rounded fighter. ON top of this we do warm up drills that works her basic fundamentals. Once we finish drilling the techniques, I would start to combine it all together in a situational drill. For example: she would be caught in side control, thus she has to jailbreak the side control to the lockdown, to butterflies, to fullguard, to rubber guard to muddy waters. Just something along that line. Just making it fun by connecting techniques on top of techniques so she can understand the transition. So far its been working.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Connecting is fun. But it's also right. Grappling is in combos just like striking. Throw 2 and 3 moves at a time, as opposed to a one shot hail mary. This is kinda why I wanted to start callin her 'Chain Reaction' as opposed to triangle queen because the way she is flowin you don't know what she will catch. There will definitely be some triangles, but soooo many armbars, locos, omos, rnc's, heelhooks,.. You name it. The way she combos and chains is beautiful. Cora 'Chain Reaction' Sek. Just throwin it out there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Craig: we are the only one in HOUSTON that plays with the rubber guard and the system. So privates...this is our privates.. We are a ronin, and thus has no one in our area. We just try to do what we can for the amount of info that we have. Usually this is how I train Cora, there are basically 4 areas that we touched on everyday. Passing, top game, bottom game, and defense/escapes. I would pick a couple of techniques each day and we would drill on those. I find that this way, she become a more rounded fighter. ON top of this we do warm up drills that works her basic fundamentals. Once we finish drilling the techniques, I would start to combine it all together in a situational drill. For example: she would be caught in side control, thus she has to jailbreak the side control to the lockdown, to butterflies, to fullguard, to rubber guard to muddy waters. Just something along that line. Just making it fun by connecting techniques on top of techniques so she can understand the transition. So far its been working.
    Like I’ve said before, I’ll do a private for Cora for free if she wants one. An hour and a half drive once a month or so could be worth it. I’ve driven 6+ hours many times to get privates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast