Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA

Do politicians make promises they know they can't keep?

I thought this was interesting. 81% of Likely Voters say that most politicians don't keep their campaign promises. 50% of Likely Voters say it's purposeful, that they know they are making promises they can't keep.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...t_s_deliberate

Huzzah for polling.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    They're just puppets. They have no clue what they will or will not be able to do

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    The problem is that most politicians, presidential candidates in particular, think that if/when they get elected they will be able to make changes and actually implement their ideas and desires, when in reality, they get into office and realize that they are handcuffed by the system. Do you really think the president is responsible for anything that happens in the government? Hardly. So yea, that's my 2 cents... don't be so quick to blame the man, blame the system.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Glach View Post
    The problem is that most politicians, presidential candidates in particular, think that if/when they get elected they will be able to make changes and actually implement their ideas and desires, when in reality, they get into office and realize that they are handcuffed by the system. Do you really think the president is responsible for anything that happens in the government? Hardly. So yea, that's my 2 cents... don't be so quick to blame the man, blame the system.
    That's exactly what I think too. I think a lot of them think they will have more power than they do but unfortunately they do end up being a puppet. I mean they have a little power but they can't do much without a permission slip from the people with the actual power
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Most people don't even know what the job role they are voting for actually entails. I would say that 80% of the things that Obama promised before he was elected were things that don't even fall under the power of the presidency. So usually the promises of a politician is just a verbal support for an issue that they will not actually encounter.

The government doesn't function like some Sim City menu where you drag a few sliders around and fix things. If Obama get's a bill to sign regarding energy he's going to throw it over Secretary Steven Chu (Department of Energy) and go forward with Chu's best recommendation (in conjunction with other effected parties) and either sign or veto the thing.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    The government doesn't function like some Sim City menu where you drag a few sliders around and fix things...
    Yet. Don't ruin my dreams AJ.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    In all seriousness, this issue isn't about Obama. It's much bigger. As an example, a lot of right wingers like me are irritated because the people who run for office talk the talk during the primaries and campaign but don't walk the walk once they get the job. They promise big and deliver small and we're tired of it. "Read my lips, no new taxes" remember that?

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    In all seriousness, this issue isn't about Obama. It's much bigger. As an example, a lot of right wingers like me are irritated because the people who run for office talk the talk during the primaries and campaign but don't walk the walk once they get the job. They promise big and deliver small and we're tired of it. "Read my lips, no new taxes" remember that?
    You really can't listen to what they say. You have to look at their background, their past financial supporters, their powers to appoint offices, and who they will fill those offices with. Like the presidency for example, one of the most important aspects of the job is the over 800 appointments and nominations made to fill out the infrastructure of the white house and federal government. But nobody ever talks about that stuff. (http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-r...d-appointments)

I know we are not literally discussing Obama, but we'll just use him as an example. Here are his donors: http://www.campaignmoney.com/biograp...a.asp?cycle=08

Oh wow, that list is pretty cool, apparently George Lucas personally donated $33,100 to Obama.

So yeah, politicians don't talk straight but how can they when most people don't even know what they are actually supposed to do.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    So yeah, politicians don't talk straight but how can they when most people don't even know what they are actually supposed to do.
    Ignorance certainly creates the environment we have; one where lies are powerful. No doubt. Dishonesty will prevail as long as it is not punished.

Array

School
    Pedro Bessa BJJ
    I think it depends on the politician, but it swings between people with good intentions who don't realise how restrictive the system is, or people who get it and are just full of shit.

Also, the level of incompetence in goverments is totally underestimated, but the type of person you have to be to be succesful in modern politics (usually a dick swingin' shit talker) really doesn't lend itself to people with good intentions.