Array

School
    Derby City MMA/ Ronin

twister is a wrestling guillotine w/o the crank???

I do a strongman/dinosuar training every Sunday, and this week we got on the subject of chokes and submissions in general. While talking about the guillotine, one of the guys said that there is a wrestling move they did in high school that was called the guillotine, but it wasn't a choke. He demonstrated it and it was the twister, except instead of a neck crank, he was using his left arm to help pin his opponents shoulders. He also did this from dog fight. I just wanted some of your guys thoughts on it, I'll try to get video next week, if anyone is interested.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Yea, it's the "wrestler's guillotine" I believe

Array

School
    10th Planet Bear
    In his book Eddie B. explained that was the move he used while wrestling.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Yes, you can hit it from dog fight and there is even a standing application but both of those are pretty difficult to hit live compared to the usual setup. There's a ton of leg riding techniques that can be converted into submission setups.

Array

School
    Ronin
    This is common knowledge. Invest in Mastering The Rubber Guard, its a good book.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Derby City MMA/ Ronin
    I do have the book. Maybe I didn't read that part, maybe I forgot, who knows. Thanks for being so understanding about it...

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Eddie talks about it extensively in MTT. The smaller wrestlers used leg riding techniques like the grapevine and the wrestlers guillotine was Eddie's go to move. Once he began training jiu jitsu, he developed ways to set it up from positions other than the back (wrestlers don't mind giving up their back but jiu jitsu players do). That's where Eddie's top game evolved from.

Array

School
    Ronin
    lol I meant Mastering the Twister not Masering The Rubber Guard
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    A buddy of mine loves leg riding. He's been showing me some stuff, and there's a lot more ways to enter the twister then you'd probably think. But these alternate entries do not follow the principal of control found in BJJ, so they are far more dynamic and risky than Eddie's setups.

Eddie's definitely developed a procedural BJJ friendly version of these wrestling techniques which reinforce ideas like position and control when wrestling can sometimes be more about momentum, timing, and body displacement.

Array

School
    Derby City MMA/ Ronin
    oh, well thats that. I dont have MTT, I dont think. We recently moved and I still havent found all of my books. I may have bought it and never got around to reading before the move.

yeah, When my buddy pulled it from dog fight, I was like, "Oh fuck"