Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin

Rener Gracie talks Jiu Jitsu Philosophy, Sport JJ, and getting to the clinch.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Love this.

Our whole system is based on the clinch. Glad to hear more top level guys talking about it

Have to admit I like Rener Gracie he seems like the most open minded Gracie.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Campbell View Post
    Have to admit I like Rener Gracie he seems like the most open minded Gracie.
    The music on clips like that drives me crazy. What's the point?

As for Rener, I don't know if "open minded" is the right word. I'm pretty sure "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" will be the exactly the same 100 years from now as it is today. That's not really open minded. That branch of the Gracies believe Helio Gracie figured out everything we need to know about self defense jiu jitsu, and I personally wouldn't be expecting to them to add anything ever to their curriclumn. I know Rener knows every new innovation in sport jiu jitsu but I'm not sure how much of that is actually taught at his academy. Eddie is a far more open minded martial artist in my view.

I give Rener credit for keeping the foundation of authentic self defense jiu jitsu alive, and his academy is probably the best place to learn a foundation of guard, side control, mount and the classic submissions (triangle, armbar, mate leao, etc) but I don't picture that when you are training there you are surrounded by open minded instructors who are open to "new" ways of doing things.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    Ric makes some good points.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

I agree totaly with rener, i think we all need that foundation of the core principals of jiu jitsu before opening the world of endless posibilities that are sport grapplng and mma. If you cant manage distance, do proper bridge and rolls, shrimps, takedowns from the clinch, and top control, all while avoiding being puched then everything else is useless. I love sport grappling, but we are probaly not going to jump guard, or play inverted guard in a self defense situation. I will however say this. If i am put on my back in a street situation rubber guard is high on my list of options. I say that to say this the core of jiu jitsu should always remain, but even in a pure self defense form there is still room for growth, we just need to have the ability to understand which techniques are not suited for those situations.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    I really like watching all of Rener's video, especially this one. He has so much passion for what he does. As far as to the content of this video, he is on the money as far as to why we (Cora and I) are here in the 1st place. I started out wanting to find a sport for Cora, one that can be useful in all aspect of her life. To build that confidence and her able to protect herself...so we found JJ. But after awhile I start to be more educated as to what branch of JJ we want to persue, one that can be useful in a real situation. And by the stroke of luck, we found Master Eddie Bravo and 10thplanet. I believe this system hands down the best system for the real world. Rener is on he money with the clinch game. THat is why we spent about 80% of our time trying to master this system and 20% of the time doing what ever they are teaching her at the gym. Also when we practice, we are not going for points ever, we want to learn techniques that are effect to end fights. THat is why you don't ever hardly see Cora winning by points, its almost always by tap out. ANd if she do win by points, its not our intention at all.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    I'm loving this video! Thanks for the post.

Array

School
    10th Planet Earth
    Rener is sound...

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Rener is the man. such a cool dude, love watching him talk and show techniques