Starting training at 50?!!!

So I'm an old hasbin geezer whose been following jitz for decades now - started training with a gi 10 years ago, but hated it, and really liked when I saw Eddie dev a system using more traditional wrestling moves (hooks).
    Anyway, I'm in shape for my age, former 101st paratrooper (long time ago, hence hasbin), so I understand training and HUGELY respect 10th planet, but would appreciate some feedback on the following:
    - With younger, strong guys, and I'm just going to remain injured or do y'all have old geezer classes?
    - For competition, I don't care about medals (have enough from the military), but want to test skills I gain, do they have geezer categories in competition or like my last question, will I just get injured by all young guys?

Thanks for any feedback you may give.
    Much respect.

Array

School
    We Are Ronin (Near Koblenz, Germany)
    you don't get injured if you train with skilled people. injuries only happen if some guy has no clue about what he is dooing (beeing spazzy) and if you can avoid whitebelts if you do not want to risk injuries.

for comp there are "master class" categories. starting at 35, going up to whateveryourlocaltourmentiswillingtooffer. i remember gracies saying stuff like 10 years age difference is equivalent to 1 belt level (so if you fight a 30 year old guy, imagine this guy is ranked purple when you are white). so is 10lbs of weight. meaning the 30 year old guy that is 20lbs lighter than you is basicly your level.

sounds confusing, is only good to not get frustrated when the 15 year old kid starts to fuck you up

tap early, tap often. shit takes a while to heal if you get older. and keep your ellbows close so noone fucks up your ripcage

Array

School
    Palmas BJJ - Puerto Rico
    Great post. I’m also an OG. got my Blue Belt in 2000 at 30. 55 now. Trained off and on through the years and then got serious again just b4 COVID. That plus hernia surgery took me out till now. Also the same time I fell in love with 10P. Got my old ass training again a couple months ago as per my post about training in Puerto Rico where I live. My goal is similar. Get very technical forget about everything else. To me that means repping the shit out of everything in MTS followed by Drilling it. Less emphasis on sparring. Leave the ego at the door and don’t get injured. Rock on fellow O.G! Check out our Facebook page and my old ass at www.BrazilianJiu-Jitsu.com OSS!

Array

School
    10th planet north dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkInTheWild View Post
    So I'm an old hasbin geezer whose been following jitz for decades now - started training with a gi 10 years ago, but hated it, and really liked when I saw Eddie dev a system using more traditional wrestling moves (hooks).
    Anyway, I'm in shape for my age, former 101st paratrooper (long time ago, hence hasbin), so I understand training and HUGELY respect 10th planet, but would appreciate some feedback on the following:
    - With younger, strong guys, and I'm just going to remain injured or do y'all have old geezer classes?
    - For competition, I don't care about medals (have enough from the military), but want to test skills I gain, do they have geezer categories in competition or like my last question, will I just get injured by all young guys?

Much respect.
    At my gym 10th planet North Dallas we got a 72 year old white belt named Jim. If there’s anyone to motivate anyone to start at any age it would him! I always use him as an example that old dogs can learn new tricks!

Array

School
    Adam Ryan MMA/Chekmat Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by sprawlnow View Post
    At my gym 10th planet North Dallas we got a 72 year old white belt named Jim. If there’s anyone to motivate anyone to start at any age it would him! I always use him as an example that old dogs can learn new tricks!
    Good to know !! I am 42 , and just went to my first class today . I had a taste of BJJ in the past , but hardly enough to say I actually say trained in it . I was so discouraged , I could never understand it , I would watch the demos, I would think I got it, and when it was time to drill , my mind would go blank . Anyways , years later , here we go , walking in with a new attitude to have fun with it . I must admit though , a little of my old self almost came out when I couldnt get some of the stuff today . i will just remind myself that 72 year old Jim , doesnt quit

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ

Much respect.
    Yes, there are categories in competition for all different age groups and skill levels. Bracket sizes might thin out the more geezer in age you go but you'll find people.

As far as the young crowd and trying to hang, communicate with them your limitation and your intentions to wanna learn. You'll be a valued member of the team and an inspiration to others in the right environment for you. Some places might have little regard for your health, every school is independently owned and operated by different guys and the culture there very much starts with them.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago

Much respect.
    1: Just make sure you pace yourself. Don't roll with anyone too heavy, too rough, or too inexperienced. Always depends on the gym but if you bring up your concerns to the instructors I'm sure they'll try their best to work with it.

2: Some of the bigger tournaments have divisions for you for sure! Just check the rules ahead of time. Do note depending on where you are you could wind up with no one in your bracket. Sometimes they'll just age you down to remedy. Just be mindful when you're there.

Array

School
    10th Planet - New Caney, TX
    I started at 45. Nearly 51 now and going strong in the 10p system. I agree with what's been said before. Pace yourself and pick good partners. Although I've been known to roll with just about anyone including the spazzy folks. It helps me with base and balance.

I've been pretty lucky so far in terms of injuries and I take pretty good care of myself. Just take your time and have fun. Don't take things too seriously and you'll have a blast.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek

Much respect.
    First of all, you should jump in. Just be consistent: slow and steady wins the race.

Here's my experience (over 50, started in mid 40s): you want to preserve your health/avoid injury. So 10 tips:

1 do strength training regularly, but don't overdue it 2 stretch 3 do warmups with every class. 4 If you have particular injuries adapt to them. For example, I have a neck injury, so I have to be careful about inversions 5 tap frequently. You are training and your ego is your worst enemy 5 in particular, watch your back/spine and neck carefully: I now tap *alot* when I don't have to in class because I do not want to be stubborn and have a permanent injury; watch the knees and shoulders as well. 6 be aware of what not to do in a lockdown/ask people not to do lockdown if you don't know 7 do not try to flail your way out of leg locks, esp heel hooks 8 roll with all types of people but make sure you have safe partners - some gyms match people up, but you can just ask your coach for guidance. 9 drill alot with attention to detail. It won't show you what things are like under pressure but it will train your body how to move and what to do - do the techniques when rolling, don't try to use strength or body flopping. 10 take recovery days

Competition is a tough one. I generally cannot find anyone in my age bracket, definitely not at my belt level. My last tournament was with guys 10-20 years younger, one higher belt and younger one same belt. Fortunately the higher belt was the older of the two. The younger guy made me feel like my jiu jitsu was horrible, but he wasn't out of control in terms of intensity and I learned a few things from him. I would be very careful about random 20 year olds in competition.

Knowledge is power. Technique is king. Flexibility is a factor. None care how old you are.