Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Melbourne
    if vinny had have taken him to the ground asap and submitted him would you say wrestling is the least important aspect? it's all important.

i agree with justin -

"Yeah, but tell me we weren't all thinking jump guard or shoot for the takedown. Something!! Davis obviously didn't want any of Vinny's ground game so why not at least they to take him there. I feel like so many ground guys are trying to prove something standing. Fuck that. Win!!!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    I know I'll hear shit. But currently at the highest level of MMA (ufc) and the top contenders. BJJ is the least important art in MMA.
    if vinny had have taken him to the ground asap and submitted him would you say wrestling is the least important aspect? it's all important.

i agree with justin -

"Yeah, but tell me we weren't all thinking jump guard or shoot for the takedown. Something!! Davis obviously didn't want any of Vinny's ground game so why not at least they to take him there. I feel like so many ground guys are trying to prove something standing. Fuck that. Win!!!"

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    lol, go where?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    You wanna go!?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Denny's cool?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat Heathcock View Post
    if vinny had have taken him to the ground asap and submitted him would you say wrestling is the least important aspect? .
    NO, no way!!! And yes all aspects are important. I'm not saying Jiu jitsu is not important.

Wrestling has been dominating Jiujitsu in MMA for along time. Since Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman days. American Top Team and other top MMA teams are trying to recruit Ncaa wrestlers all the time.

That being said, yes wrestlers have been beating by jiu jitsu guys. Higher Percentages go to the Wrestlers at the Higher levels of MMA.

Don't be in denial guys. I really wonder if you guys ever listen to Eddie. Eddie talks about this all the time. Eddie has said one of his main goals is to make jiu jitsu relevant again in MMA. That is not a quote. So don't nick pick my words. I think you get it.

David Rosado, I will get to you later . I've been so damn busy. I want to make another post anyways so I can catch up to Bobby Rivers. I need that false sense of superiority. lol

Coolest week ever. My 5 year old started BJJ. There's some LOVE.
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 05-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Idk what that means

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Cool

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    Coolest week ever. My 5 year old started BJJ. There's some LOVE.
    Right on man. Right on.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    GSP has no wrestling credentials. GSP is a bjj black belt.
    Your right, there is no Black Belt in Wrestling. But he has the best takedowns in MMA. I don't care what kind of timing gets him there its still wrestling moves. Wrestling predates all styles of jiujitsu. Under hooks, over hooks, leverage, scrambles, clinching, controlling people on the ground (top game) is wrestling 101. Yes, he does try to pass the guard. So yes there's jiujitsu being used. But how many times do we hear Rogan remind everyone that George is a bjj black belt and then Rogan says we don't see it often. He also says that about Rashad Evans but I'm not sure if I ever saw Rashad (bjj black belt)use any jits. Rogan also talks about GSP's incredible wrestling. I've heard Eddie say GSP has the best wrestling in MMA. I'm positive I could find videos of them both talking about it.

Remember when GSP wanted to go to the Olympics for wrestling? Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Cyborg Abreu won a national wrestling championship and he barely knew the rules. Cyborg is not a wrestler. Wrestlers don't fight to stifle guards. Gsp is not a wrestler. He's a mixed martial artist. He is dominating opponents with BJJ. He's able to get it to the ground with wrestling. He mixes it together. Mixed martial artist.

How dare you!!! Please NEVER compare a Brazilian National Wrestling Champion to a US, D1 NCAA National Wrestling Champion...Not even in the same league. Not even close!!! So I will repeat. If you can takedown a D1 ncaa Wrestling Champ with easy you have great wrestling.

Yes he's A MMA fighter who mixes it up. But he is winning by controlling where the fight goes. By takedowns or anti- wrestling. Most people would tell you that's what wrestlers do in a mma fight. So I will DISAGREE with you on him dominating opponents with BJJ.

He tooled Sonnen like a white belt. His two losses to wrestlers were kickboxing matches that he didn't even try to take to the ground. But his last three performances are great examples. All three against serious wrestlers. You should watch them and not just use irrelevant finish stats.

Chael P. Sonnen has been submitted 7 times. He is a white belt in my opinion.

"not just use irrelevant finish stats." lol. But stats do tell a story. I used them on this thread because yourself and others were saying Maia was dominating with his Jiu jitsu. Well, when I hear a striker is dominating I expect tko's or ko's. If a wrestler is dominating I expect him controlling where the fight goes and manhandling his opponent usually winning a decision. If I hear a jiu jitsu guy is dominating I expect Submissions. That's why I used the facts of Maia having only 1 submission win since 2009 and losing twice to 2 wrestlers. Maia losing to the 2 wrestlers because it was a kickboxing match doesn't really show him using his jiu jitsu and you guys were using him as your example of properly using his jiu jitsu in mma. Maia's last 3 wins...he beat Kim Dong-Hyun (judo) due to injury on a takedown. Insert GSP, " I'm not impressed"... Rick Story, good win, not a huge opponent tho.

Yes it's that huge of a win. Tell me who has ever dominated Fitch? GSP. A Hendricks left hand. Maia. And the fight didn't hit the ground. Maia forced it there. And he hept it there. Yes it's that huge of a win.

OK...Fitch is over rated IMO. Lets take Gsp (loss) out of it, Hendricks(loss) left hand out of it, BJ (draw), BJ was already on the down slide, out of it. What is left is a bunch of mediocre opponents padding his wins. I don't see any big wins for Fitch! Maia took Fitch down body triangle him and smacked him around. I stated before Maia grappling is superior to Fitch. Fitch is more of a jiujitsu guy with very good wrestling. He is not a elite wrestler. IMO.

If a boxer can KO a Muay Thai guy in Muay Thai rules, it doesn't make them a great Muay Thai guy. And I disagree. He may be using wrestling to take it down, but it's all BJJ on the ground.

Striking is striking to me! The "Art of Eight Limbs" The boxers hands are two of the eight limbs.

Again, its not ALL (Key word all) bjj on the ground. GSP is always on top. He's not in his guard. He's looking for dominate position and he rarely tries for a submission unless its open. Under hooks, over hooks, leverage, scrambes, clinching and controlling people on the ground (top game) is wrestling 101. That's why Jiu jitsu guys have trouble sweeping good wrestlers. You should watch more folk style wrestling. Be thankful for wrestling no-gi grips also. He does lots of GNP which is not BJJ. But he is trying to pass guard on most opponents I will give you that.

Fixed. lol. Thanks Kurzy
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 05-03-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Jack, man come on you know my brain can't handle all these words and junk at once.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast