Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Looking for one - Mississippi

The First Tournament Jitters

There is a local grappling tournament being held at the end of September that I'm planning on entering. As soon as I took the serious notion to go for it my mind started going nuts with all the "what ifs" that could happen. I'm usually a pretty confident guy but this would be the first time I've ever really done it competitively against others I don't know with random people watching. I'm starting to doubt my abilities and my readiness which is never something I've ever strongly questioned before. I'm figuring it's just nerves and everything.

Any tips on how to overcome this sort of thing?

Lose the ego and don't worry about getting tapped. It happens. Good Luck.

Array

School
    Huntsville Jiu Jitsu
    You're most likely gonna have a serious adrenaline dump your first time, prepare yourself for that and being tired as hell your first match.

Other than that, win or lose you'll learn a LOT at your first tournament. It's not like you're gonna learn a whole new game between now and then, so just stick with your strong points. KNOW the rules back and forth, and have some sort of plan. Like Eddie has mentioned, pull half, chill for a while, control, sweep, control, win on points...worst case.

If the guy seems like a strong wrestler, i recommend pulling either half or guard, because you WILL get taken down and he WILL automatically be up on points, which will F with your head.

Good luck buddy.

Array

School
    akka overland park
    I just took first place in my division at my first tourney (videos will be posted soon. i drop the 10th planet sign in both.) when i was prepping for it i made sure that i rolled tired the whole time. I.e. i would do push ups during break, running at least 2.5 miles each morning, jump rope, and shadow boxing. I also would only work 1-2 passes and 2-3 subs per practice. i also did A LOT of work from bad positions. the result was 45 pounds of weight gone and a 1st place trophy. after rolling tired all that time i have notice my squeeze is a lot better and i am sharper getting from one position to the next.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Congrats Matt!!! Logan, just have fun. We all were nervous for our first one. As a matter of fact, nerves never go away for all comps, but the "what if's" are layed to rest. After this one you will know what to expect and realize you were overreacting a bit. Kick some ass.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I felt the same way at my first tournament. I ended up winning my weight class.

Array

School
    10th planet Riverside
    Cut weight so you can have an advantage . Guys seem stronger in tourneys.

first tourney jitters, awh man. how long have you been training? all i can say is i compete ALOT and to this day i still get the competing jitters, it's just natural. (: i find the best thing to do is to not go in with a "game plan" and take what they give you. go in with a clear mind. listen to your music and just relax. as long as you trained hard for it you should have no doubt in your mind that you're going to take first! good luck! update us on your progress that you made!

Array

School
    Looking for one - Mississippi
    I've trained on and off for about 2 years. I've always lacked a school close by so I've always had to just do visits, which is one reason why I'm doubting myself. There is one close by now, which is who is holding the tourney. I have always been told that I am really good for never actually going to classes on a regular basis. I use to go to a renzoku jiu jitsu school, when I was able to make the drive, where I train during their MMA days and I would tap out several of their boys on many occasions and I learned a lot from everyone. I've actually never been able to train with anyone my size except for once, most everyone has been at least 20lbs or heavier. I've been into 10th planet for quite some time now and own all the books and plan on getting the DVDs in the very near future. I was wanting to use the tourney to just see where I was at, so I didn't really have any ego involved or really any major expectations. Of course I want to win, but self progression is my main goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent_D View Post
    I've trained on and off for about 2 years. I've always lacked a school close by so I've always had to just do visits, which is one reason why I'm doubting myself. There is one close by now, which is who is holding the tourney. I have always been told that I am really good for never actually going to classes on a regular basis. I use to go to a renzoku jiu jitsu school, when I was able to make the drive, where I train during their MMA days and I would tap out several of their boys on many occasions and I learned a lot from everyone. I've actually never been able to train with anyone my size except for once, most everyone has been at least 20lbs or heavier. I've been into 10th planet for quite some time now and own all the books and plan on getting the DVDs in the very near future. I was wanting to use the tourney to just see where I was at, so I didn't really have any ego involved or really any major expectations. Of course I want to win, but self progression is my main goal.
    use this as experience i would say (: just go with the flow, what happens.. happens. take some chances, i bet you do way better then you think. like i said, keep your mind clear!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast