Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville

Its really not that big of a deal. its jiu jitsu.

*Note** - I do not intend nor have i ever wanted to offend anyone in any way shape or form. just kinda think something is going from a great match to out of control hype.

So we all know about Eddie Vs. Royler at the 2003 ADCC. Eddie won of course.

IMO: it was an amazing match and a good example Jiu jistu by two outstanding people.

However, yes Eddie won the match, but it sometimes seems like everyone blows it out of proportion. when i hear about it people mainly focus on the fact that "a Gracie was beaten in Jiu jitsu." or "Eddie bravo beat a gracie then "Retired" from competition fighting." or "Eddie Bravo beat Royler and wont fight him agian because he knows he'll lose."

For what ever the hype and reason is, its stupid and pointless to me to make a huge deal about it.
    IMO: Yes eddie beat a gracie, but its not exactly anything to throw a parade about. Royler made a mistake and got caught, or Eddie went for it and got lucky, or eddie caught him by surprise.

what ever the reason, whether it be mistake, skill, or luck. That's jiu jistu. Its a game of human chess, you or your opponent make a move and you both have to react to the move with your own move to stop the advancement and defend.

Everyone seems to focus on the fact a gracie was beaten, or that eddie won the match.
    I know for a fact I cant beat either of them, if I got lucky and surprised them with a move, its not a big deal either. Alot of legendary black belts still get tapped on a regular basis. That's jiu jitsu, to act and react to the problem in front of you.

but from my view, my own opinion, yes eddie beat a gracie, eddie is a great grappler, as well as royler, but i could care less that a gracie was beaten. its not that big of a deal. But I myself would like to see a rematch just to see People of that high caliber experience in a jiu jitsu match. jiu jitsu at its finest.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    What about a Royler being beaten by a brown belt? Being submitted by an American ?

Array

School
    I could care less what the race is, or the rank. im sure BJ penn has fought up in class and beaten or given a good match. some poeple have good approaches and strategies. its all jits.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Because I really like Eddie and I think its fuckin awesome.

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Because I really like Eddie and I think its fuckin awesome.
    LOL love it!!! I think you said it all Bobby.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Chavez View Post
    What about a Royler being beaten by a brown belt? Being submitted by an American ?
    doesnt matter the rank or origin. its like living in the U.S. as a citizen. doesnt matter what your background is, your age, sex, or views. we're all Americans.

doesnt matter what your rank is, where your from, your ability, or views. we're all grapplers, dispite physical differences we all have the same thing in common.

If you don't care at all why would you bother to make this post :S it confuses me when people say they could care less about something but then take time out of there day to write a big post about it. I could care less about football but I'm not gonna sit around and make a post asking why anyone else cares.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by DarbyBarby View Post
    If you don't care at all why would you bother to make this post :S it confuses me when people say they could care less about something but then take time out of there day to write a big post about it. I could care less about football but I'm not gonna sit around and make a post asking why anyone else cares.
    Touche`, very well played my friend. lol eh, idk, just wondering why all the focus is about a gracie being beaten and not the actual match itself. Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza beat Roger gracie. and if i remember right Jacare' Got his arm broke and won by points i think. Didnt really care who won, just loved the entire match. it was an awesome fight.

Well we are all humans and on any given day any one can be beaten. We all bleed!!!!! I realized that after being in combat for 15 months in Iraq. Whether it is grappling or stand-up at any given time any one can lose.

Array

School
    Star jiu jitsu/ formerly of 10th planet sherman
    I can see when it first happened that it was a big deal, but these days gracie's get beaten all the time, just like everybody else. The match holds it's historical purposes, mainly in relation to 10th planet. With all due respect the victory is a big reason why today Eddie Bravo IS Eddie Bravo and not just another black belt in the states. With that being said he probably would have still created this system and it probably would have gained notoriety and the victory over Royler certainly doesn't hurt his image

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast