Array

School
    Big Girls Gym

Mental Toughnest.

I realize that this is the biggest area of my game & life that needs work.I deal with really bad anxiety attacks and it holds me back from doing a lot of things when it comes to jiu jitsu and in life. Then there is my fear of failure and I think I use my anxiety as a crutch sometimes to not deal with failure, cause in the back of my head I tell myself how can you fail if you don't try. And now I see Im cheating myself. What are some of the things you guys do to get over pre fight/tourney nerves, Is the sweet cheeba all I need?

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Honestly. Weed.

Array

School
    Trident MMA
    I suffer from anxiety too. I have had it since I was 15 and I'm 36 now. I've done the diets and even tried the self help anxiety books, they didn't work.

What I have done over the years is expose myself to whatever triggered my anxiety day after day, week after week, and month after month until it didn't bother me anymore.

I still have my ups and downs but I deal with them accordingly. There is always the option of prescription medication, but I refuse to take them because I feel like if I do then I have lost the fight with anxiety. If my anxiety kicks up from going to the local convenience store, then I go to that mother fucker every day until it doesn't bother me anymore. I'm stubborn, have an ego, and my pride. I have and will continue to refuse to let anxiety control my life.

Whatever causes your anxiety, face it head on. It sucks, and I know it sucks, but you will gain confidence once it doesn't bother you anymore. Expose yourself to it as long as you can stand it, then do it again the next day, and the next, and the next until you feel normal about that particular situation.

If you need to talk more in private feel free to private message me. Anxiety sucks! If someone has never had it then they have no idea how debilitating it can be. Best of luck to you.

I have a website for Christian fighters and martial artists that deals a lot with overcoming fear btsword.org if that's not for you Tony Robbins has written quite a bit on the subject as has Randy Couture.
    Last edited by Brian Beaumont AKA Thor; 09-21-2012 at 02:14 AM.
    Keep your stick on the ice TO THE 10TH POWER!!!

Array

School
    10th pl.-Ronin
    Anxiety huh? Join the club! It takes some balls, but in any area of life were you are afraid to loose, it helps to just try, and then know that you might lose. And if you do, don't take it too seriously. try again!

I've kinda lost my mojo, and it's hard getting a girlfriend all of a sudden. But I'm trying... hahaha! Everything is a learning experience. You are worth just as much as anyone else. And you are just as human. Everyone fucks up.

If you fall into that black hole, you loose perspective. You are alive here and now, making the best of it, and trying, is fun! Even loosing or fucking up can be fun if you view it as a learning experience. Makes for great stories! that's my advice. If you try, more often than not, good things will happen, and you start to function more normally again.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    It's like your mind is a little devil and if you let him wander he will go to things like "my boss didn't say hi to me this morning im in trouble" or "that person did this to bug me" or " I can't do this everyone is watching me"

Dont let that little devil wander, force it to watch your breath or turn it into your body so deeply that it drowns out our ability to form negative thoughts in your head. You can look up "Eckhart tolle"

Force yourself into situations that put you on nerve.

"Where there's discomfort, there's fear," he said. "In these very tough positions, you're in a little piece of hell. And through this daily suffering, you learn to survive in these situations. You have to find comfort in uncomfortable situations. You have to be able to live in your worst nightmare. Jiu-jitsu puts you completely in the moment where you must have complete focus on finding a solution to the problem. This trains the mind to build that focus, to increase your awareness, your capacity to solve problems. Sometimes, you don't have to win. You cannot win. But that has nothing to do with losing." -Rickson Gracie

Array

School
    Big Girls Gym
    thank you fellas for the words of wisdom it is greatly appreciated. Ive delt with anxiety for the past 12/13 yrs and win my fair share of the battles, also lose a lot. tonight Im gonna man up and go see Derek and his crew @ 10th planet Omaha. lets see how many times I get humbled. George H. I will be Pm you soon thanks again.
    Last edited by Kyl modra; 09-21-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Array

School
    Trident MMA
    Anytime! Best of luck.