Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Newport
    Quote Originally Posted by DanConway View Post
    I also strongly endorse Defense's foot cleaning station -- Every martial arts gym needs one of these PERIOD.
    Thanks brother, I like the way you think! I agree.
    I started training in 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu in 2006 after serving 4 years in the USAF.
    I became a professional MMA fighter in 2009 and got my blackbelt from Eddie in January of 2016.
    Owner of the Tsunami Training Center in Newport, Oregon.
    http://www.tsunamitc.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Also, on a Rogan podcast, Eddie mentioned taking Acidophilus supplement (a bacteria found in natural yogourt) as an effective precaution against skin infections.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by John Alighieri View Post
    Hey guys
    As some of you may know I got a gnarly staph infection on my leg :/
    I've been taking basic precautions:
    - showering before training
    - showering after training (10-15min after - time to get home)
    - train with clean/ washed gear
    - clip nails/ toenails
    - hand washing

I've also briefed my guys on the regular about personal hygiene but it seems like it isn't enough...

I'm looking at getting in touch with companies that manufacture soap/ wipes/ whatever for body care so I can have them on site to really push better hygiene practices...

Unfortunately I have contacted such companies in the past and never got any replies from them, I'm guessing due to being based in NZ... I won't name and shame but yeah it was a bit of a let down that's why I hope posting it on a public forum I'll get replies

My gym is running on a tight budget but I'd be more than happy to discuss options. Getting staph is a huge eye opener and scared/ scares the living fuck out of me.

If someone owns or knows someone that owns one of those companies and can help me to directly contact them that would be super awesome.

Thanks
    Hi John. Thanks for the thread. Staph is a very serious issue as well as MRSA.
    I'm guessing you aren't rolling on the mats in your current state? Just checking.

Basic precautions we do:
    1) sweep mats then mop every inch when done, after each session.
    2) clip your nails
    3) wrap your wounds
    -if you have wounds or scratches, the staph etc will enter your body through that area.
    4) change shorts and shirt often and after every session
    5) hopefully you are showering after every session
    -the goal is to change your clothes inmediately, and shower no more than an hour after practice.
    -you can't force people to, but you can avoid rolling with them and letting them and everyone know why

I have a list somewhere.. I'll post when I get free time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Hey Rick
    No I haven't put a foot on the mat since and still got 2 more weeks off!

As mentioned before WE DO CLEAN our mats everyday and people's habits were pretty good.
    They cut their nails
    Change clothes if they come from somewhere else etc etc

I found out what happened and I'm so glad to be the only one who caught it!
    Someone had a staph infection and didn't say a thing for months! He used to stop taking his antibiotics each time he felt better so he had it for a while!!!

We dodged a pretty solid bullet and could have been far more worse and got everybody sick!

Anyway, since then I've gave away samples to my guys so they can try it and there's now a canister of body wipes on our counter free for everyone to use
    I'm hoping to have a bunch of guys ordering their own stuff as I'm not a baller and won't be able to pay for it all the time lol

Now the hygiene at the gym got bumped up to another level

I'm freely talking about it because it's like a taboo subject and got told to keep it on the DL several times but to me it's retarded!
    People need to know about it!
    The only reason why that guy kept on training is because nobody told him the seriousness of a staph infection! Not even his doctor!!!! Which is mind blowing

Ive had several guys that train at my gym that also train at other gyms and they all were amazed that I caught something due to the fact we always keep our mats on a daily basis!
    You'd be surprised by the lack of hygiene some gyms have! My old club used to never mop the mats! Once a month was luxury!!!

I've always been on a crusade against germs and thought I was prepared for it but now that I've got the help of Cheri from Super Body Care and Guy from Defense Soap ( they both sent me tons of samples) I'm gonna be able to educate my guys and get them responsible/ accountable on a personal level.
    I think that's where I went wrong but now those guys will know probably more about staph and skin infection than a doctor hahahaha

One of the doctors that I saw told me that staph infections are super common amongst rugby players in NZ. I saw him the week before and barely remembered me, so I told him "do you see many guys with staph?!?! "
    An he said that he's treating 5 more patients with staph!

Once again nobody talks about that kind of shit and it's been driving me crazy!
    That world of silence and shame like you're a filthy cunt in the first place to catch it!

Sorry to ruin it for you but I'm probably too clean for my own good!
    I shower a minimum of 2 times a day usually 3 (1 quick shower before training which is apparently not smart at all LOL)
    Wash my hands a million times a day etc etc etc.
    So no people you can be as clean as you can be you might still catch something!

That being said was when I was just using regular soap but I'm super confident with the wipes/ soaps that are specially designed for us grapplers I won't catch anything again!

Rant over lol

PS: probiotics won't prevent you from catching it! I've been on 10 billion good bacterias and didn't help me LOL
    "Never go full retard"
    Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Periscope @10P4L

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Man John.. That's good it wasn't worse than that. I think hiding the issue is the worst thing someone can do. It puts everyone at risk. And it's one of the most serious injuries in grappling.
    I think if someone has something in question on their skin, they should be shown the door and recommended they see the docs, for everyone's sake.
    When someone has a bandage on their skin, have em reveal what theyre hiding.
    I recommend using safeguard(antibacterial) soap. It works wonders and is cheaper than the defense soap type soaps.
    If you have the loot to get that defense soap/ks/ stuff, then do that. Otherwise, safeguard soap and body wipes for the way home is safe enough.

Thanks for sharing brotha.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234