Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Edgar has a great chance here. Think back to the Hominick v Aldo fight.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    daaaaaamn thats gonna be a goooooooooooood fight but Jose is just on another level. Erick is good but frankie will be more of a challange but Jose will still dominate 145

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Frankie's foot work is better than Faber's, but he still got leg kicked to a decision by Bendo. I would imagine a guy who has better leg kicks than Bendo would give Frankie major problems. Faber and Mendes have better takedowns and timing than Frankie, and they couldn't get the TD. What else does Frankie offer?

Frankie has had success against slower flat footed guys who never threw leg kicks. Aldo is a stylistic nightmare for Frankie. He throws leg kicks, can stuff TD's, and is just as fast. Frankie posesses no advantage besides his ability to survive.

I predict this fight looks a lot like a lot the rest of Aldo's fights.

And bringing up Hominic isn't too valid. Besides the bad weight cut and being on antibiotics, Hominic had one round where he still didn't do a whole lot. Besides, that fight was years ago. Also, it's not like Frankie's chin is granite. He just recovers well because his opponents aren't accustomed to finishing. A guy like Aldo KNOWS how to finish. So if he gets Frankie in trouble (which I think he will), Aldo will more than likely finish

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Emir Mehovic View Post
    The leg kicks wont do anything. Frankie will take them and keep coming after Aldo.. I also think Frankie having a fight just a few weeks ago will be to his advantage. I have Frankie pulling off the upset by decision.
    Interesting thought. How many fighters have walked through Aldo's leg kicks without slowing down? What makes you think Frankie will be able to?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Frankie's foot work is better than Faber's, but he still got leg kicked to a decision by Bendo. I would imagine a guy who has better leg kicks than Bendo would give Frankie major problems. Faber and Mendes have better takedowns and timing than Frankie, and they couldn't get the TD. What else does Frankie offer?
    If you think about it though, Edgar was able to take down a couple people that a lof of people didnt think he would be able to. IE BJ, a couple big take downs and nobody but GSP was able to do that before him, and he got Maynard down a couple times too which surprised me because I couldnt remember anybody else doing that to Maynard.
    I wouldnt say Faber's takedowns are better than FE but I agree Mendes does. The thing I think Edgar has going for him is he sets those takedowns up with his strikes which Mendes is still trying to figure out. Mendes is an amazing wrestler but he would have even more success if he had the footwork and timing Edgar has.

Ive already said it a couple times but I really think those leg kicks are whats going to decide this.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Good point about Frankie's TD's. I still think he had success because he was against slower flatfooted guys who wanted to stand in the pocket. Aldo's defense is in his footwork and controlling the distance. I don't recall Frankie having TD success against someone with that kind of TD defense. And I agree that the leg kicks will play a factor. That's going to keep Frankie at a distance too far for a proper shot. That will also slow him down. And Aldo might either ride out the decision like he did with Faber, or go in for the kill.

We'll see. But I love speculating on fights like this.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post

We'll see. But I love speculating on fights like this.
    For sure! I would have liked to see him test the waters against someone else but when youre presenting with an opportunity like this you gotta go for it.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Bloomsburg Mixed Martial Arts
    I think this is a difficult fight for Edgar. Some of his success at 155 was due to his speed advantage as much as anything else. With Aldo, he won't have the speed advantage he is used to and Aldo is a serious striker with solid submissions.

Tough first fight in that division.

Array

School
    Gracie University
    Quote Originally Posted by Emir Mehovic View Post
    The leg kicks wont do anything. Frankie will take them and keep coming after Aldo.. I also think Frankie having a fight just a few weeks ago will be to his advantage. I have Frankie pulling off the upset by decision.
    What an INSANE statement.

Faber was considered a beast at that weight, just a manhandler, and those leg kicks made his legs swell out and bruise to where his corner had to pick him up between a round.

Showing a lot of heart and resilience is one of Frankies skills, but you can't ignore anatomy and physics.

Statistically speaking, we are likely to see Frankie eating leg kicks, shooting for take downs way too soon or far out and missing them, getting rushed with a flurry and then seeing Aldo back off before any counter can be made.

If it were to go to the ground, we've all seen what happens when Aldo is on the ground, and when Frankie has taken down Bendo.
    He's likely to be caught in a submission, or put in a bad spot and pounded out.

Now, that's just what statistically is likely to happen.
    That being said, this IS mma, and just because we've never seen Aldo get taken out before, doesn't mean he can't be.

Frankie could go in and catch Aldo with a punch, or grind out another controversial decision leading in Franky Aldo 2.

Oh god....can that PLEASE not happen?

I just wish this weren't his first fight at this weight.
    He would have a chance to acclimate, get himself set, and actually have some non title work in before he rushes for Aldo.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell C View Post
    I just wish this weren't his first fight at this weight.
    He would have a chance to acclimate, get himself set, and actually have some non title work in before he rushes for Aldo.
    Same here. It's a tough match for your first deep weight cut. Florian had a fight before Aldo to get used to the cut and he still had no answer for Aldo. Frankie has surprised me before, but I just think this is a stylistic nightmare for him. Just like BJ Penn could beat 90% of the LW division, but Frankie's style is just a disaster. Styles make fights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12