Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dealing with chokes and head & arm control from lockdown

I've been pulling half and using lockdown at my school for the past few weeks and love it so far, but I've hit a few snags. One is that my partner is getting real tight head and arm control on me and squeezing, while working for chokes and shoulder locks. I'm unable to whip up when they're squeezing that hard.
    The other snag is that one guy in particular seems to be able to choke me using some kind of fist on the neck type choke (not 100% sure what it is as I can't see it very well).
    Any advice on what pathway to start using when these things happen would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

have you tried jaws of life ???

Yes, generally this is after I've used the jaws of life (if I needed to) and I have double under hooks. But as I'm typing that, I'm realizing there's no way they have head and arm if i have double under hooks. I guess the issue is if the top guy is just applying a lot of pressure and I'm unable to whip up to create the space I need.

Array

School
    Trident MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by DanZarrella View Post
    I've been pulling half and using lockdown at my school for the past few weeks and love it so far, but I've hit a few snags. One is that my partner is getting real tight head and arm control on me and squeezing, while working for chokes and shoulder locks. I'm unable to whip up when they're squeezing that hard.
    The other snag is that one guy in particular seems to be able to choke me using some kind of fist on the neck type choke (not 100% sure what it is as I can't see it very well).
    Any advice on what pathway to start using when these things happen would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
    With the tight head and arm control, Eddie shows the "Jaws Of Life" to create space and get the double underhooks. You can also use a standard crossface to create space and achieve the same results.

The choke you are referring to is most likely the "ezekiel" or "fist choke" (Video below). I have a Judo black belt who tries this on me everytime I hit lockdown half, not to mention he outweighs me by 80lbs. Hitting the whip up seems to disrupt his base enough for him to abort the choke quickly. If your whip up isn't strong, try stretching his leg out with the lock down and it should create breathing room for you.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I have that problem too sometimes, I'd try what everyone else has suggested (I myself need to as well)

If they have head an arm I just sink an overhook->stomp>pyramid.

If you have double unders and can't whip up try the thumbs up whip up. There is a video on here somewhere I think.

Array

School
    Trident MMA
    I also wanted to mention the use of the "meathook" as well. You can transition to full guard from this position, or better yet if they release their arm in the transition trying to stuff your knee you can grab wrist control and go to the triangle. I'm sure there is an MTS episode on here that covers that.

The big advantage we as VA Ronin's have is that most of our training partners have no idea what we are doing. We can get our reps in successfully without allot of counter technique before we graduate to the next level.

Studying the 10P system makes me feel like a white belt again, and I LOVE IT! Applying techniques from the video's on guys I know I can beat but they pass my guard makes it fun and let's me know I need to get more reps in and focus on the details better. Guys that used to run through me, I now control and prevent the pass and/or get a submission let's me know the 10P system is exactly what I should be working on to take my game to the next level.

Where are you in VA? I'm always looking to roll and train with like minded people?

Array

School
    Philly hotbox/SJU JJ
    also you could use the fat whip from an alder video

That fat whip up video is perfect, thanks!
    And yeah George I've got to work on my rubber guard more so I can use it as a option more effectively. I'm not in VA though, not sure why you thought that, I'm in Vegas.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Stomp series works great for this.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast