Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandbaggers

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Its a frustrating thing for me but a lot of the guys that are wearing the gi can't really just compete at purple belt level if their instructor hasn't promoted them to purple yet can they? So I think a part of people are really trying to sandbag but a good chunk of people are only sandbagging cause their instructor wants to glorify their school with these medals and trophies.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Our biggest "sandbagger" issue is guys that have wrestled for 10 years or some crazy bullshit like that and then go in 1-2 year divisions. Maybe that's an exaggeration and it's kind of a non-issue, but that's the only real problem. 10P Omaha guys get good very quickly and kick ass at the tournaments.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Sandbaggers should be skull fucked. Just my opinion.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Helton View Post
    Sandbaggers should be skull fucked. Just my opinion.
    A little extreme but I like the way you think
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Everybody should just go where they should be at and be legit. Sandbagging is cheating, period. But you have to acknowledge that some people are just good.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    As a JKD guy, I have no rank. I've been called a sandbagger before. I don't have a BJJ belt. I haven't competed in over a year but it's hard to know where I stand. I assume I'm either an experienced blue or a new purple, I have no clue. I've never beaten a brown belt and I've only tapped 1 purple. If I return to competition, I'm going to compete in the executive division so I can stay away from you fast youngsters.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Sounds to me like you're on the mid to high blue belt level, Nelson The no rank thing is why they have introduced the time spent rules. Under a year you're a beginner, 1-3 you're intermediate, 3-5 you're advanced, 5+ you're elite!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    we need a phantom belt lol. maybe i should talk to john roderick about ranking

So what are these competitions exactly where they go by experience? And experience in what? Are they BJJ competitions, submission wrestling competitions, or grappling tournaments, or what? For some reason it seems odd to me that a BJJ competition would not go on rank and it also seems odd to me to enter a division other than white if you are not ranked in a given art that goes by rank.

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    I went in a big tournament back in April and looked online at the competitor list (pre-register tournament) to see what guys I didn't know from competing. I found out the one guy was a purple belt and I tooled him first match.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast