Array

School
    Ronin

First day mma instruction (attempt)

Hey guys, just had my first day of mma instruction, well it would have been, but I showed up a half hour early and ended up with a one on one wrestling lesson, which pretty much broke me down, I threw up and felt shaky, so I didnt continue. I did stick around to watch the mma instruction, interesting thing was there was only 2 guys that came in. They did some half guard work that was interesting, me being a first time mma (or even combat sport or grappling) student. Anyhow, today basically just did some penetration for a takedown, sprawl, and a single leg takedown called the pipe. I really enjoyed learning the small things that make the takedown work. Anyway, next class is on Thursday, and Im hoping to go back and pay for a months membership. I figure less people, the more they can focus on me. Also, planted the 10th planet bug in one of the owner's ear, so maybe a possible hotbox in the future? Idk, just trying to spread the word for the 10th planet system, there's not nearly enough people teaching it.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    Props for stepping out and taking ur first class, once u get some more in ur conditioning will catch up. Try to eat a small/light meal an hr or so before class but not too much, and stay hydrated. Let the forum know anytime u have questions someone around will at least give their experiences!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    heh... I've seen plenty of guys puke on the first day of wrestling. Fast paced sprawl drills seem to be especially bad for it.

It's pretty normal, esepcialy if you aren't used to the pace and strain. Jitters can be a factor to. All goes away with time and conditioning.

Sounds like it's not discouraging you though, so that's good

Quote Originally Posted by C.J. Steele View Post
    Anyhow, today basically just did some penetration for a takedown, sprawl, and a single leg takedown called the pipe.
    Just an FYI, the term for that single leg finish is probably "Run the Pipe" or "Running the Pipe".

Well, unless thy are doing something that I'm not familiar with, of course...

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    Puking is pretty normal, I sometimes feel queezy if I've been rolling too hard! Just keep at it dude and it will get easier for sure

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post
    Just an FYI, the term for that single leg finish is probably "Run the Pipe" or "Running the Pipe".

Well, unless thy are doing something that I'm not familiar with, of course...
    Yeah, I looked it up later on the internet and I discovered thats probably what he said. The one thing I didn't see on the videos though that he showed me was pinching down your shoulder into their thigh. I think what got me was 2 mins of wrestling with the head instructor, where I got taken down like 4 times, haha. Its all learning though. =]

Array

School
    Ronin
    Oh, and had mad jitters, I hated it as I was drinking my water, haha. But theres like almost no people there and its no-gi jiu-jitsu so its almost like getting personal classes. As far as the meal goes, I had a sandwhich like 3-4 hours before and I may have had too much water.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Congrats on taking that first step on what is a beautiful journey. Not everyone can manage even that first step so tick that goal off the list and focus on the next. Much respect.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Stick with it. It gets more fun as you go on

Array

School
    10th Planet Soldotna
    Where did you go?

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Barber View Post
    Where did you go?
    I ended up going to Frontier Vale Tudo. I was the only one who showed up for wrestling, then two guys showed up for mma instruction, so small classes. They said it was a slow time of year, but the winter months are fighting season pretty much, so Im very slightly skeptical; but its not bothering me too bad.