Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Link to good North-South Choke Defense?

Anyone know of a link to good North-South Choke Defense? I've been getting caught in it quite a bit lately and the defense we use at my school doesn't work well for me b/c of an old rib injury that never healed right (it involves twisting out, but puts took much torque on my old injury). Looking for other options.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Have you tried tapping out?

Just kidding. I get caught with the N/S and RAT too often myself. Tapping is my only defense right now.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Keep your face turned into their ribs and try to b smith out. I don't have the best flexibility plus my back injuries keep me from being able to do certain things. I can b smith not straight over but to the side and get to half guard. Not sure that you would be able to do that with a rib injury tho.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    James Whiston was showing me one the other day I wonder whether he got it from somewhere? Seemed legit, involves fighting their head with your hands to an extent though which didnt work on Mick Broster, he just subdued me and choked me as usual.

I'm not aware of a high percentage escape when its sunk, although there must be one out there. Its such a great sub though, whenever it doesnt work it is about qtr inches here and there, the guy defending must have great survival ability and force or trick the guy attacking into saving energy and letting go. Thats mostly how Ive seen it done.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Jeff Monson doesn't believe in N/S submission defense...

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    go to Marcelos website he shows 3 good escapes, the foot wipe, elbow escape and the single leg.

Stop the choke before its sunk in, look into there body not away or they can wrap the choke make sure your hand is on the inside of the armpit of the side you are not looking at so that they cannot get double over control and they wont be able to wrap it.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I use the NS a bunch. Most people escape by timing a roll over and end up on top. The proper defense is to get your arms under my chin "jaws of life" style, before I get it sunk. use that space to work in your knees, like inverted guard. work to inverted guard, and spin to full guard. Only one of my guys does this well. Most power me over since I am smaller. A guy can usually hold me off for a while if he gets a forearm or hand under my chin and keeps that upward pressure. If I can't clear that arm and get my head down I usually move on and go for something else. Chin into my rids also slows the process same, but I'm getting better at clearing that.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    [QUOTE=Chris Garry;158729]
    " whenever it doesnt work it is about qtr inches here and there, the guy defending must have great survival ability and force or trick the guy attacking into saving energy and letting go. "

This is sooo true, win some of those qtr inch battles, and he might move on or give you some space to escape.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    the best defense for me is recognizing hes turning the corner and going for it as early as possible so i can turn into him. if i fail at doing that and hes able to lock something up with me flat on my back i usually dont escape.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Turn into it as hard as you can while fighting his head and hands. Really work on getting your chin turned into him. It might hurt your neck a bit but if you tough it out you're never going to get choked. Not the most technical escape but it works and you don't give up position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast