Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    Thanks to everyone who posted, I will work on my clinch and try to use my legs more effectively. Never had to deal with this before, I usually avoid full guard, did'nt realize how bad my guard game was. I always go either go rubber, butterfly, half, prison, but never stayed long in full, this time I felt trapped there. Like Sean said there is alot going on in ground in pound. The only time I ever got GP'd was when I was mounted, getting GP'd in guard sucks. Thanks again for your help.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    cant be flat. Hip out to one side and/or clinch up and keep your back curved like a roll bug no matter what. Works pretty well for me any way.

This is what I found out going to a ground and pound and stand up gym after doing jits for a bit, wrestlers are really good at punching you in the face in your guard while not being swept or allowing you to do submissions. I like to clinch it up intially (get my bearings and to keep them from establishing their base), hence master eddies techniques for overs/unders. Traditional clinch tires you out too much and doesn't provide much protection after your both sweaty. I like to work my traditional guard up high with a squeeze while pushing downwards towards their legs, to the point they want to try and make a pass attempt or posture up, then I hip out/shrimp or roll with whatever presents itself. Not much of an explanation. sometimes I feign an armbar or triangle, just to see if they move enough to get somewhere else. The guys that are really good at ground and pound work on that shit alot. I find myself almost exhausted when they get me in a bad position trying to escape. I don't have a specific technique for you, but my suggestion would be to work three times harder than usual. Once sweaty it is hard to control a writhing, jiggling, bridging, bumping person. It always seems to me that the guys whose faces become bloodied normally layed around on the bottom not working very hard, way too long. Hope you spar with headgear or have a "gentlemans" agreement when doing ground and pound work. We switch it up, guy on top guy on bottom, work the ground game. Like with everything else, sometimes you hear some very heavy thumping coming from a pair of guys who felt that one or the other broke the gentlemans agreement. We don't try to kill one another, but you can't train at 20% either.

I don't know how you train, and I'm no expert, but lay on the floor with a heavy bag between your legs in guard and practice squeezing the crap out of it, while grabbing around it and squeezing with your arms. Then throw some elbows on the end of the bag like it would be a head. Elbows to the head normally make guys hands come up and their heads go down (home alone position), which then allows you to work other angles.

Good luck, and if you find an awsome technique please post it here.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    be constantly pushing and pulling his body with your legs when he is trying to punch(push him away with your legs explosively and pull him back into you explosively over and over again, back and forth). This will keep him off balance and occasionally cause him to have to post an arm or 2 out.
    Phew! That was exhausting just reading that! lol. Just kidding. I know it's legit, but that would be a tiring game.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ern View Post
    This is what I found out going to a ground and pound and stand up gym after doing jits for a bit, wrestlers are really good at punching you in the face in your guard while not being swept or allowing you to do submissions. I like to clinch it up intially (get my bearings and to keep them from establishing their base), hence master eddies techniques for overs/unders. Traditional clinch tires you out too much and doesn't provide much protection after your both sweaty. I like to work my traditional guard up high with a squeeze while pushing downwards towards their legs, to the point they want to try and make a pass attempt or posture up, then I hip out/shrimp or roll with whatever presents itself. Not much of an explanation. sometimes I feign an armbar or triangle, just to see if they move enough to get somewhere else. The guys that are really good at ground and pound work on that shit alot. I find myself almost exhausted when they get me in a bad position trying to escape. I don't have a specific technique for you, but my suggestion would be to work three times harder than usual. Once sweaty it is hard to control a writhing, jiggling, bridging, bumping person. It always seems to me that the guys whose faces become bloodied normally layed around on the bottom not working very hard, way too long. Hope you spar with headgear or have a "gentlemans" agreement when doing ground and pound work. We switch it up, guy on top guy on bottom, work the ground game. Like with everything else, sometimes you hear some very heavy thumping coming from a pair of guys who felt that one or the other broke the gentlemans agreement. We don't try to kill one another, but you can't train at 20% either.

I don't know how you train, and I'm no expert, but lay on the floor with a heavy bag between your legs in guard and practice squeezing the crap out of it, while grabbing around it and squeezing with your arms. Then throw some elbows on the end of the bag like it would be a head. Elbows to the head normally make guys hands come up and their heads go down (home alone position), which then allows you to work other angles.

Good luck, and if you find an awsome technique please post it here.
    Thanks

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Phew! That was exhausting just reading that! lol. Just kidding. I know it's legit, but that would be a tiring game.
    You dont have to do it continuously unless they refuse to stop swinging on.

Extra details - You can limit a push or pull to right before they swing on you. When you pull, a lot of the time you use their momentum of driving into your guard so they do half the work for you. You also only need to do it long enough to clinch onto them or set something up. Unsuccessful aggressive g+p will tire out the top person quickly. This is also just one defensive technique to go along with other defensive stuffs. Not nearly as tiring as it seems

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Props.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12