Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu

My first MMA fight (Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Huk913ml0

Hi guys,

I FINALLY have the video from my fight in September. It's not the best performance ever and I made a lot of mistakes, but I learnt a lot and it gave me some direction for my training. I think it is quite exciting though so enjoy!!

I'm the one in the white rashie. Criticism is most certainly welcome, but be nice

Array

School
    Hoy's Martial Arts Pedro Sauer Ohio
    Good win.

Work on your standup in case you end up fighting someone you cannot take down at will. In terms of the ground game, I would like to see a more active and offensive guard. There were quite a few times you were begging for him to pass your guard by completely dropping a leg to the ground but he was not paying any attention. You had no problem keeping his posture broken in your guard so it would have been a perfect to work some rubber guard.

Your ground control and takedowns definitely won you the fight, which is great. Good job getting out of his relentless and obnoxious guillotine attempts.

Do you have any other MMA fights? Or is this your first?

Good stuff mate, good recoveries on some of those takedown attempts, I'd like to see you bee a little more patient with your shots and not force them so much. That's what got you in bad position at times. Keep it up!

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    Good win.

Work on your standup in case you end up fighting someone you cannot take down at will. In terms of the ground game, I would like to see a more active and offensive guard. There were quite a few times you were begging for him to pass your guard by completely dropping a leg to the ground but he was not paying any attention. You had no problem keeping his posture broken in your guard so it would have been a perfect to work some rubber guard.

Your ground control and takedowns definitely won you the fight, which is great. Good job getting out of his relentless and obnoxious guillotine attempts.

Do you have any other MMA fights? Or is this your first?
    Thanks man

I know I definitely need to work on my striking, it's just not as fun a jiujitsu! You are right about my guard work, normally I play rubber guard and high guard and hunt for armbars but for some reason during this fight I decided that the pendulum sweep was the best strategy for MMA - funny the things you think of under pressure! Part of it was the shin guards I think, they were cumbersome and really threw me off, next time I am definitely wearing the thin karate ones like he did!! I also normally can pass the guard, it feels really different in MMA.

This is my first fight, I am thinking about fighting again later this year but I want to be better prepared with my striking and wrestling. I am also going to cut a little weight this time, I walk around at 68-69kg (150lbs) and this fight was at U70kg I'm thinking I should really fight at U62kg (135lbs) or at most U65kgs (145lbs).

Good stuff mate, good recoveries on some of those takedown attempts, I'd like to see you bee a little more patient with your shots and not force them so much. That's what got you in bad position at times. Keep it up!
    My wrestling was pretty bad, but I made up for it with my half guard a bit. I'm a pretty consistent guard puller in my gym, it was actually a bit of a joke for a while that I won with wrestling and ground and pound! Wrestling is my main focus this year though

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Good show brother, takes heart to get in there.

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan_Karam View Post
    Good show brother, takes heart to get in there.
    Thanks man

Smart rules for amateur fights. Amateurs should be the most looked after when fighting. Then build yourself to pro.

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    Yeah, I agree. It is good to have a stepping stone. We have A, B & C class in Aus. B you lose the shin guards and punching on the ground is in, A has elbows and is full UFC rules and 5 minute rounds (I think).

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Congrats on the win. I recommend grappling in your shin pads as much as possible, then you wont notice it in the fight.

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    Congrats on the win. I recommend grappling in your shin pads as much as possible, then you wont notice it in the fight.
    Yeah man, I am definitely going to do that for a month or 2 leading up to my next fight!