Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Ahh yes the "other school" dilemma.

There will always be those that train at other schools and with other practitioners- publicly, or undercover.
    This, to me, is no different from learning from online vids or dvds.

Let him train there, and let him come back to you. It benefits your students to see a different look. It benefits jiu jitsu as a whole. If he reps their school, so be it. That's his choice.

I was just talking with the fellas last night. Ultimately, a person is going to choose their school for which they want to be ranked at or associated with. But what's special about 10th Planet is not only the grappling, but we are a collection of free-thinking individuals. We're individualists.

Other schools expect to mold you into their lifestyle or culture. But 10th Planet, not be be biased, has smart ass people that don't just do jiu jitsu. We are engineers, artists, metal workers, law enforcement, tattoo artists, rock musicians, dj's, yoga practitioners, break dancers, real estate developers, coaches of others, business owners, screenwriters, comedians, bloggers, salesmen.... and on and on and on. Most importantly, we are just chill people. Able to converse on many issues with an open mind.

The jiu jitsu brings people in, but once they find out or understand we are just like them, most of the time they'll stay. If they don't, they may find somewhere else to bring them in. Maybe they want all the "hi-YA's and karate chops" that the other gyms provide.

At least we don't bring people in the back room and jump them for training somewhere else. If you wanna train elsewhere so be it. Come back though so we can inject back into the System.
    Last edited by Slick Rick; 02-13-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Array

School
    New PathMartial Arts/BANG Muay Thai Joliet/future 10th planet Joliet
    well said slick

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    If I was you Ryan I would also want to know 'the real reason' on why he's school hopping but then wanting to come back to you.

The other place being 5min closer sounds like bullshit to me, there must be some other reason. 5 minutes extra is worth the travel if he really loved your school.

I would start by trying to be straight up front with him, no pressure and try to get to the bottom of it. Of course I have no idea how old the dude is, so might not really be that easy if he's still suiper young.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Excellent post, Slick Rick.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Slick Rick is right it's about the atmosphere.

Thanks everyone, it was nice to get more opinions

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bruhn View Post
    If I was you Ryan I would also want to know 'the real reason' on why he's school hopping but then wanting to come back to you.

The other place being 5min closer sounds like bullshit to me, there must be some other reason. 5 minutes extra is worth the travel if he really loved your school.

I would start by trying to be straight up front with him, no pressure and try to get to the bottom of it. Of course I have no idea how old the dude is, so might not really be that easy if he's still suiper young.
    That's the real issue that you need to get to the bottom of: he's not totally happy with your gym for one reason or another. Use the situation as a learning tool for yourself and grow from it.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ
    Brick Smash???

Maybe he doesn't like the atmosphere of your gym. From your message your basically saying how he can't tap any of your guys, "Even whitebelts" and the black belt at the "other gym" takes 10 mins before she can "find an opening." And he taps all the blue belts there. If i had an instructor like that I'd look for a new gym too. i wanna train with awesome people and could give a shit about how many times I tap or they tap in fun rolling. It's about having fun and getting better. And clearly your student isn't having fun there but he's not in the wrong, he can choose any school he wishes. Maybe it's not about him tapping blues but about a different gym atmosphere.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Hamilton View Post
    Maybe he doesn't like the atmosphere of your gym. From your message your basically saying how he can't tap any of your guys, "Even whitebelts" and the black belt at the "other gym" takes 10 mins before she can "find an opening." And he taps all the blue belts there. If i had an instructor like that I'd look for a new gym too. i wanna train with awesome people and could give a shit about how many times I tap or they tap in fun rolling. It's about having fun and getting better. And clearly your student isn't having fun there but he's not in the wrong, he can choose any school he wishes. Maybe it's not about him tapping blues but about a different gym atmosphere.
    That's a good point... we don't really talk about who can beat who at the gym I more or less said that stuff to point out the drop in quality.

When sparing I usually try and point out all the positive things you did and a couple of things to work on after no one brags about winning that I know of...

But at the same time we do lots of timed sparing drills and other things designed to make finishers and I do like when a match ends in sub.

He doesn't do it because he wants to compete, which means that the other gym that's closer for him that focuses more on cardio is actually a better fit for his needs. Especially if they focus less on closing in on subs and sparing.

Ill have to try and get better at finding out the specific goals of all my students and the ones that want to compete can focus more on finishing.

I should post all my problems on here it's good to get this many different perspectives it completely changed the way I was thinking about this.

at the gym where I trained we used to have sparing drills where the point wasn't to submit it was to tell a joke and make your partner laugh. I never saw the value in that until now...

I still have many steps to climb on my way to being a blackbelt in teaching.

P.S me and this guy are actually friends we have hung out since he switched gyms
    P.P.S they can't get him because of his lockdown no one can pass his guard
    Last edited by Ryan Brick; 02-13-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Awesome to hear you're getting something from the feedback. My guess would be that he is loving your instruction but struggling ego wise that he can't 'dominate' at yours as much as he does at the other school?

Which is great positive re-enforcement for you that you are holding your standards high and training some true killers, converting him into 10thP4L will be an even great re-enforcement that you are doing more things right.

Wish you all the best with it mate and you will learn from it no matter the outcome. Win Win
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast