Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

The Universal Misunderstanding (Gracie Philosophy)

Your philosophy determines how you think, how you think determines how you act, and how you act determines how long it will take you to master the art. In this Gracie Philosophy video, Ryron explains what he believes to be one of the biggest misunderstandings in jiu-jitsu. We have seen extraordinary growth in students who have adopted the concepts in this video and have applied them to their training, and if you want to train jiu-jitsu for the rest of your life, we recommend you do the same.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Clearly he is far more experienced than i am, but im not sure if i agree with his "waiting philosophy"
    If someone get me in side mount, i would think to get out of that position the same split second i get put into it, rather than wait and let them get settled. Or am i missing something?

Between this and talking to him at Gracie Nationals, I think he has a generally relaxed point of view about Jiu Jitsu. He is looking way past a single situation or competition. I get the feeling like he is talking about training for a lifetime.

Tom- I think if shit were on the line, he would definitely act asap. I think he is trying to make training fun, and interesting. Definitely an ego-less vibe here.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    Clearly he is far more experienced than i am, but im not sure if i agree with his "waiting philosophy"
    If someone get me in side mount, i would think to get out of that position the same split second i get put into it, rather than wait and let them get settled. Or am i missing something?
    First off, Love this video. I have been working on this for years!!
    Tom, If your partner is transitioning to a dominanant positions you do have a moment of weakness to try for a proper escape technique. But what Rener is saying is that if you miss that moment for some reason and the person achieves and consolodates the position, just chill. If I get swept and mounted, before my back hits the mat I an attempting to get at least 1/4 guard. Wether I get it or not, my next move is to observe my opponents next move. If I fight right away I might miss the path of least resistance that he gives me. Lets say I snag the foot for 1/4 guard, I can force my next escape move(with power,muscle and speed)which might be right into his best control, or I can chill for a second to see if he presents an easier path to deep half, or mini stomp or perfect double to dogfight or if defending my arm/neck is in full order. Will I fail, yes, will I gain knowledge and experience, yes. I fully believe this is the next great breakthough in BJJ. But it takes a whole lot of time for this to work. Like Eddie says with the rubber guard in MMA, just not enough time(reps) has been spent yet for people to master this postion. When a whole bunch of the Cora Sek's of this world put ten plus years into the Rubber Guard dedication, look out. This is no different.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Look at what Ryron did to Galvao once he got mounted at Metamoris. Galvao never saw the oopa sweep coming