Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    It sure can be practiced in a live rolling situation, just include scratching above the eyes to simulate eye gouging. The whole grappling game changes when you know if you go for a double leg you'll have a thumb thrust deep in your eye socket, same goes for certain guard passes, side control positions, sweeps, half guard, etc...

I think if you haven't grappled like this you aren't prepared for a real fight.
    I think you are as prepared as if you dont say, practice throws on concrete. If someone tries to poke me in the eye on a double, they get rotated onto their head on the asphalt.

Eye gouging, biting, etc, can of course turn a fight, but they cut both ways, and if one person has a dominant position, all that stuff gets done on their terms. Truthfully a guy biting me while I side control him isnt going to do anything but let him end up toothless. Eye gouging is the only thing that can really make things change, and if this is your "secret weapon" you are a fool.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    It sure can be practiced in a live rolling situation, just include scratching above the eyes to simulate eye gouging. The whole grappling game changes when you know if you go for a double leg you'll have a thumb thrust deep in your eye socket, same goes for certain guard passes, side control positions, sweeps, half guard, etc...

I think if you haven't grappled like this you aren't prepared for a real fight.
    See.. simulated. You are not practicing eye gouging, you are literally practicing how to scratch someone's eyebrow. Again, you seem to go off of the premise that these dirty tactics will only belong to you. How about a double leg with a ball sack bite.. eye gouge that. Ridiculous but my point is, that if a fight is dirty, the dirty tactics are not exclusive to the dirty fighter. Even with dirty tactics, the advantage is still granted to the person in a superior position.

This reiterates my other point.. all of this discussion exists in the realm of "what if". Here we are going back and forth with theoretical dirty tactics that we can't literally drill live or prove on the mats. Everything I do on the mats, is validated and proven as being effective everyday I train. I value that way more than obscure advice on how to bite through someone's arm from somebody who has never bitten through someone's arm.

Are dirty tactics effective.. I'd imagine so. How effective? I have no clue.

Array

School
    Mario Roberto Jiu-Jitsu Academy
    Because then it wouldn't be a bjj class, it would be a self-defense class. Take krav maga instead.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Palmer View Post
    And training eye gouges is like training small joint manipulations...don't know that there's a lot of technique involved (sorry small circle jits guys). You just take your fingers, and stick them in someones eyeballs...you just grab a finger, and bend it the wrong way until it breaks.

You just kidnap a stripper, go to a densely woo...sorry i blacked out there for a second.
    Thats like a douchebag in an affliction shirt saying "all you gotta do is grab an arm and pull and its an armbar". I agree with you that YOU "don't know" there is a lot of technique involved. You should go ahead and educate yourself on some real shit homie.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    why not practice stabbing people.

Array

School
    lost
    Please try to double leg me while trying to bite my ball sac, you'd be doing me a favor on many levels. I do agree the dirty tactics do favor the one in the superior position but if he never trained with them, he won't be prepared for the sight ending thumb in the eye when he has side control.

And one of my teachers once said think of the mats as concrete, then you'll be prepared when it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Daly View Post
    Because then it wouldn't be a bjj class, it would be a self-defense class. Take krav maga instead.
    Krav maga is poor man's grappling with poor man's kickboxing combined with the better gun and knife disarms. They dont spend a ton of time defending Eye gouges, for largely the same reason no one else does, if you put other, serious offense on an attacker, he will be too busy thinking about his bleeding head to bother poking at your peepers.

Array

School
    Edmonton BJJ Club / Mundaruca BJJ
    Haganah (Hebrew: "The Defense", ההגנה HaHagana) was a Jewish paramilitary organization in what was then the British Mandate of Palestine from 1920 to 1948, which later became the core of the Israel Defense Forces.

Just sayin'.....

Array

School
    akka overland park
    You should train at Gene Lebell's school. Buy his books and DVD's. That man knows how to play it dirty, but is also an amazing grappler. There are a lot of "dirty" moves out there, but all is fair in a fight. It's just some moves are more practical than others. Groin attacks and shots to the neck/throat are going to be your best bet and you can drill those with a cup on and a throat guard. Wear eye goggles if you want to strike the eyes. Some places do train these, but most places are more concerned with you learning all the other stuff. You just need to ask your instructor if the tech you are learning is a sport tech or street.

Example, someone attempts to tackle me in a bar from the front. I sprawl out. I then throw knees into the top of his head. Fight over. while throwing the knees i hold him down by his ears or hair. Have i trained this 100%, no. But i got the concept pretty fast. Also I tackle someone and they know some BJJ and pull guard. I pass there guard by grabbing there wrist and Headbutting the guy. I then go to half-guard driving my knee into his crotch. If he is still fighting. I grab his hair or ear, pulling his head back and strike with downward elbows. or i push his head down and strike him in the side of the neck. all things i need a dominate position for which i would use my traditional BJJ for and all stuff i have never done 100%, but i understand the concept.

This is a ridiculous thread.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast